Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anatomy of a Bad Day

I was just looking through some pics from last summer, and I couldn't remember if I had shared these with you guys.

My wife and I went to Morehead City for a weekend....we got there late on Friday afternoon and were going out to the stream Saturday morning, but we decided to go out a few miles that afternoon and troll for some Spanish. We were about a mile out of the inlet, and she spotted a churning bait ball, so we decided to net some menhaden and fill the livewell. There were so many, we just drifted through and used the dip net. Once I had enough, I rigged a couple of them up to see what was driving them into a ball....just then we heard a distress call from a sinking boat. I knew he was close by his description, and before he could give the CG his coordinates, he lost communication. By then we were already under way to try to assist. I called the CG with the coordinates, and within a minute or two we were pulling up to him.

I offered to bring him aboard. His reply: "I spent my life savings on this boat five hours ago. I think I'll just sit here"

We hung around until the CG arrived and had the situation under control.

Capsize2.jpg

CapsizeCG2.jpg

CapsizeCG3.jpg

CapsizeCG4.jpg

His distress call was that he was taking on water.

The conditions were a little sloppy, and there were alot of boats coming in the inlet from fishing the Big Rock, so swamping is a very thin outside possibility, but it was a 25' Mako, so it should have been more than sufficient for conditions (since I was on my 23' SeaFox)

My guess woiuld be either a drain plug that didn't get put in or a thru hull failure.