Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

World Cat/ Glacier Bay

I don't have a power cat but I rode a friend's once and was impressed by the fact that you don't pee blood after a rough day. Can someone explain to me the difference between the Glacier Bay hull and the World Cat hull? Relative pros and cons of each?

GB is a full displacement hull...think downeast style....does not plane. It is thus limited in speed and gets less fuel economy because it pushes water at all speeds. It rides better because it is full displacement.

WC is semi displacement....below planing speed it acts somewhat like a GB...the difference is it does plane so it is faster and more fuel efficient.

There are also full planing cats...Pro-kat...Renaissance Prowler...Parker Fincat...Freeman 33...that act like a mono. Faster than the WC and more fuel efficient but ride not as good. They all still ride better than a comparable V hull IMO.

There are benefits to all three designs.

I ownd a GB for several years. They may call it a displacement boat but the truth is that it's semi-displacement, albeit one with less design emphasis placed on high speed operation than the WC. A true displacement boat will be more efficient than a semi-displacement or planing boat at displacement speeds (and most likely at any speed).

I ownd a GB for several years. They may call it a displacement boat but the truth is that it's semi-displacement, albeit one with less design emphasis placed on high speed operation than the WC. A true displacement boat will be more efficient than a semi-displacement or planing boat at displacement speeds (and most likely at any speed).

There are no appreciable planning surfaces on either the WC or the GB.

The prowlers are lighter, have a flat keel pad and low deadrise planning surfaces.

The prokat 2660 CC is another planning hull like my old seacat sl5.

When they are heavy, I really don't see much diference in their ride, except for the GB which to me digs into too much in bad conditions.

There are no appreciable planning surfaces on either the WC or the GB.

Depends what you mean by "appreciable" I guess. There certainly are keel pads on the GB -- I've spent enough time scrubbing barnacles off them to know. In any case, a 22' hull that will do 27 kts with 230 hp just isn't a full displacement boat.

GB is a full displacement hull...think downeast style....does not plane. It is thus limited in speed and gets less fuel economy because it pushes water at all speeds. It rides better because it is full displacement.

WC is semi displacement....below planing speed it acts somewhat like a GB...the difference is it does plane so it is faster and more fuel efficient.

There are also full planing cats...Pro-kat...Renaissance Prowler...Parker Fincat...Freeman 33...that act like a mono. Faster than the WC and more fuel efficient but ride not as good. They all still ride better than a comparable V hull IMO.

There are benefits to all three designs.

I agree I have a WC27 and love it, I open it up last fall and was doing 50 MPH. The boat rides great is good on fuel and has the speed if you want it.