Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

World Cat/ Glacier Bay

I know this isn't breaking news but it is "confirmed" news that World Cat bought Glacier Bay and will be moving GB construction and operation to Tarboro, NC

A planing hull and a displacement hull now... hmmmm

I hope to visit the Tarboro, NC factory for more info once things get in order.

WorldCat is also looking into another acquisition which can be discussed later.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve the differences in the construction and lamination between the two "brands". World Cat does not use vinylester in their layup, whereas Glacier Bay did. Under Graff's hand the Glacier Bay became known for its water abilities, leaving speed and fuel consumption as non issues. The World Cat's design gave it more speed and better fuel numbers and still offered good rough water abilities. My choice? A World Cat hull laid up with GB laminates and GB wiring. That has some real (or Reel) promise.

Kern,

Switching over to vinylester is not that big of a deal, just the cost issue. It is still compatable with the various glasses. We switched over years ago and didn't have to change any of our substrate materiel. The cost, these days, is the real hiccup with builders...

Kern,

Switching over to vinylester is not that big of a deal, just the cost issue. It is still compatable with the various glasses. We switched over years ago and didn't have to change any of our substrate materiel. The cost, these days, is the real hiccup with builders...

Good choice though. Using a water proof resin in the boating world makes sense. Atleast to me,which is worth about 2 cents

Good choice though. Using a water proof resin in the boating world makes sense. Atleast to me,which is worth about 2 cents

Bly,

You would be surprised at the penny-pinching going on at the OEM level these days...

BTW, vinylester is not completely waterproof. It will resist water absorption on a much greater scale than polyester resin, but it can still absorb... :)

I understand that vinylester is not a guarantee, but it sure is better than polyester and e-glass. I have had two issues with World cat. One was their resin choice and the other was their wiring. Sure, things are very tough in the industry at the moment, but unlike cars, boats cannot just be used up or realistically traded in on a whim. They represent significant amounts of money and should be built with an expected life design of no less than 15 years.

I understand that vinylester is not a guarantee, but it sure is better than polyester and e-glass. I have had two issues with World cat. One was their resin choice and the other was their wiring. Sure, things are very tough in the industry at the moment, but unlike cars, boats cannot just be used up or realistically traded in on a whim. They represent significant amounts of money and should be built with an expected life design of no less than 15 years.

Kerno,

You are absolutely correct in that assertion. Real world? Why are GOOD hull warranties limited to 10 years? And even then, it can be like pulling teeth to get the manufacturer to pony up for a new hull or deck.

That's the world we live in... :471_confused_face: