Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Going the "Joe Boater" route?

wiley

Being 2 months out from ReelBoating's 1 year anniversary I am assessing where we are with our online presence.

Before opening the ReelBoating Forum I had originally thought of doing this but naming this site "Joe Boater" - JoeBoater.com

Reason being is I really wanted a casual site open to all boaters (even those who may not fish) offering the opinions of everyone regardless of their boating experience. Joe Boater would be a casual place to read and share information. I consider myself a "Joe Boater". Joe Boater would offer way more than just a forum, it would be an area for the marine industry to offer "Joe Boater" some steals and deals.

I was eventually led away from using the Joe Boater name in lieu this other name I own - ReelBoating.com

During my research stage the ReelBoating name was told to me by many that it "would be more attractive to advertisers than the JoeBoater name"... even though I disagreed. I would have run the name idea to the online masses beforehand but I was in a non-compete and therefore not allowed to do so.

So, what is it I'm thinking here?

Well, although it goes against almost every rule of business I am giving some consideration to changing the ReelBoating name to JoeBoater. I feel we are still young enough to do so.

HOWEVER

You know ol' Wiley here. Always throwing my ideas out to the masses.

I would like some member feedback on whether or not you as a ReelBoating member would like the name switch from ReelBoating to JoeBoater.

I have a few thoughts myself and post this to you.

1) Is Joe Boater a good name for a boating community? I feel it's more in my style.

2) Is the name "Joe Boater" derogatory to someone with a lot of boating experience?

3) Are you already attached to the ReelBoating name?

4) Does it even matter to you?

Branding. When I started TheHullTruth it was easy to brand. The name alone was the brand. I am finding ReelBoating is a bit more difficult to brand. Joe Boater would be easy to brand. It lends itself to a common community. Joe Boater also opens the community to more than the offshore fishing market - which has become inundated with online forums. A character Joe Boater could be created and used as a theme throughout the site. Logo items would be fun to create.

Now that I DO have a chance for some feedback I am throwing this out to you. I would appreciate any feedback on this. I know many of you already simply think - just do whatever you want! Making a switch would requite a LOT of work on my part.

THANKS!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being 2 months out from ReelBoating's 1 year anniversary I am a

Now that I DO have a chance for some feedback I am throwing this out to you. I would appreciate any feedback on this. I know many of you already simply think - just do whatever you want! Making a switch would requite a LOT of work on my part.

THANKS!

My guess is you made the right choice initially. In marketing, you never want to limit your audience, and that's what joeboater would do. People want to feel they are better than others, but the name kind of puts them in their place. Boaters especially think they are better than others. It's one of the reasons they spend as much on a boat as their house. It's why they will never admit that a bayliner or a luhr's were bad decisions. ;)

There is a reason nobody likes being called a joe sixpack, especially joe sixpack's. ;)

Just my opinion of course. I'd still come over.

Edited by greg

Thanks for your feedback MrPat.

Greg... I understand your point with this. But somewhere in my thinking I feel a level playing field is exactly what is needed.

Like this angle for example ...

If you're at a bar with the boys and the girls are snickering at your beer gut then you might be offended and feel inferior to others.

However... get those same guys grouped together at a football game and they are proudly displaying their beer guts with team logo all over it.

:239_fishing:

I think the people you find here are people who really know boats, that don't need the basics of 12V systems explained to them, that understand why you need to turn a macerator pump off when all the water is pumped out, that know the difference between a cutlass bearing and an Olds Cutlass...

iBoats fits that bill very well. People come here that know their boats, and need answers from others that KNOW boats.

Besides, the head honcho at Proline already commented on MY Reel Boating T-shirt... :rb-rules::605_thumbs_up:

Edited by 250 Osprey