Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Some one was phishing

Last Friday I received an email that I thought was from UPS stating that the package I was expecting was undeliverable due to address error. It further asked that I print a pick up ticket from the link attached. Fortunately, McAfee was on duty and caught it. Made me stop and reevaluate the email.

First, it had the UPS logo and looked legit. The English was good, proper use of syntax and spelling. Everything looked like the email came from United Parcel Service. The only thing that was off was the address it came from - "@upsofamerica.com".

I've received phishing emails before and there is usually something that stands out as wrong in them. Either the English is bad or I don't do business with the company that supposedly needs to get in touch with me (several Bank of Americas lately), etc. This one was about as good as you could get, nothing to arouse suspicion. It was a grand coincidence that I was expecting a package on the very day that the email came in.

This may be normal junk email for some people but I don't see it much. It will make me look a little harder in the future.

Nice catch.

I had a similar one that was saying it was from FedEx a little while back. It look real to me, logo, fine print, everything Said the same thing; "You package could not be delivered due to address problems" I receive packages at home frequently as does the Mrs. I saw it and was busy so I fugured I would get to it later. I mentioned to the Mrs that I got it and if she was expecting anything it was delayed. Just so happens, neither of use were expecting anything so I went back and re-read it. The e-mail was something like what you saw. Like FedExBSAddress.com or something like that. I forwarded it to FedEx and they replied within an hour telling me not to do anything with it.

I have no idea what they really will gain by doing that but I guess we just gotta be careful out there.

None of those people, UPS,FEDEX, etc will contact you in that manner, neither will your banks, paypal or any other organization contact you that way. That is a common occurrence in the email world. Out of 6 email accounts I monitor daily I see plenty of that. They may call you on the phone, they may contact the shipper and the shipper will contact you but not in this manner.

There are scammers and schemers every where you look today. I was paying some bills last month online and while going over my Mastercard account noticed my balance was over $4,000.00. I knew it was no where near that high so began investigating and called USAA who issued the card. Turns out that someone charged over $3,500.00 on my card at a heavy equipment sales/rental shop in Broussard. LA. Don't know how they got my account # but fortunately USAA took care of everything. You have to be vigilant today.