Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Pucker Factor.....Depoe Bay

Rusty

Pick your wave set...turn in and nail it...stern to the seas...watch stuffing the bow...DON'T LOOK BACK...or second guess yourself.

I think it was "Smitty" in that vid that appeared to do just that...and he almost bit the dust...

Yeah, easy for me to say...I have to go un-pucker my other end, and I wasn't out in it!

Excellent vid!

Pick your wave set...turn in and nail it...stern to the seas...watch stuffing the bow...DON'T LOOK BACK...or second guess yourself.

I think it was "Smitty" in that vid that appeared to do just that...and he almost bit the dust...

Yeah, easy for me to say...I have to go un-pucker my other end, and I wasn't out in it!

Excellent vid!

I'm with you Osprey, Stuffing the bow was my first thought. Possibly getting turned broudside to the waves. That inlet does not look very wide. No room for mistakes with boulders on both sides.

The captians have bigger gonads than I do. Hats off to them. :2403_worshipper: That's not their first trip.

The coast guard doesn't seem to concerned with swells. Just the safty of the crew and the passengers.

Awsome

Excellent vid!

I think I would still be wearing 2 PFDs on the way home in the truck. Have them clinched down so tight I would have to cut them off at home.

Some interesting reading from the Depoe Bay "Travel Guide":

Depoe Bay, Oregon

Located on the central Oregon coast, Depoe Bay has become a favorite of coastal visitors for its unique tidal attractions and variety of eating and shopping opportunities. For several million years the Pacific Ocean has been carving its way through the tough basalt formations that form the sides of Depoe Bay, resulting in the smallest year-round navigable harbor in the world.

The picturesque bay is landlocked, except for the harbor entrance through the rocks, which can accommodate boats up to fifty feet in length. Visitors watch with excitement as the vessels make their way to and from the sea through the narrow channels leading under Highway 101 to the harbor, known locally as "shooting the hole." For those wishing to brave the seas themselves, there are numerous charter fishing and whale watching companies.

Depending on tidal conditions, visitors can watch and sometimes be drenched by the famous spouting horns that shoot geysers of salt water into the air, yards away from Highway 101. Depoe Bay is two hours from Portland, Oregon and the Portland International Airport.

Lot's of fun...for those watching! :1143_neener_neener_neener:

There's definitely not a whole lot to that place - look it up on Google Earth. Seems there is a small harbor/marina on one side of the road, that little pass under a bridge and then the bay/Pacific on the other side of the road. The harbor is called the "Worlds smallest harbor". Another name for that area is "Boiler Bay".

Looks like it definitely will stress you out going out and coming back in during a rough spell.