Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ideas for Boat Dealers

To reiterate what others have already said-

No stock photos

Accurate descriptions

"Call for Price" = Call so I can feel you out to how much I can screw you. I have never understood this- is there a fear that you will be overwhelmed with calls if the price is too low? Take the time to price the boat right, like you want to sell it.

At least act like you want my money

Be honest and know what you sell - I am looking for a boat right now -went to a dealer who fed me a couple lines around performance and things that electronics can and can't do. Not sure if he was intentionally stretching the truth, or just had no clue. Either way he lost the sale.

Finally my expectation as a customer is that you need to make a buck to stay in business, I am ok with that and will support a dealer that is honest and supports my boating. Just don't give me a reason to shop dealers, it is a pia and I would rather be spending the time on my boat.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To reiterate what others have already said-

No stock photos

Accurate descriptions

"Call for Price" = Call so I can feel you out to how much I can screw you. I have never understood this- is there a fear that you will be overwhelmed with calls if the price is too low? Take the time to price the boat right, like you want to sell it.

At least act like you want my money

Be honest and know what you sell - I am looking for a boat right now -went to a dealer who fed me a couple lines around performance and things that electronics can and can't do. Not sure if he was intentionally stretching the truth, or just had no clue. Either way he lost the sale.

Finally my expectation as a customer is that you need to make a buck to stay in business, I am ok with that and will support a dealer that is honest and supports my boating. Just don't give me a reason to shop dealers, it is a pia and I would rather be spending the time on my boat.

Just to point out one issue dealers all face, we can't post prices on current model year new product--most builders just won't allow it. You can go to most builders sites and build a boat for yourself with sticker pricing included. I agree that "call for pricing" is probably a mistake; but it is one way of getting people to call just so the dealer can get a handle on just what it is the buyer really wants.

For instance, I have had people call on a bow rider and end up buying a pocket cruiser instead. Effective communications between buyers and dealers is super important.

Edited by Erie Skipper

I never really understood the dealer region thing. I understand it, but i don't understand it. Dealers outside my area didn't really want to talk to me because of this. Unfortunate to see new leftovers sitting in some places around the country. Maybe this has been relaxed and maybe it's the same with other manufacturers, I don't know.

I realize this has less to do with dealers then it does the manufacturers, but this is one of the biggest problems that I see facing the recreational boating industry today, where much like the health insurance industry cross market competition is all but removed from the equation. Unfortunately, this creates a vacuum for these dealers to operate within. As a result, customers deal with poor customer service, often inflated non negotiable pricing, etc, because the dealers know a customer has very few options if they want a particular boat. What happened to free market enterprise??? If a customer who lives in Virginia finds the boat they want at a dealer in Rhode Island at a better price then the one in Virginia, then the customer should have the right to buy the boat in Rhode Island, no questions asked.

Edited by BottomFeeder

I never really understood the dealer region thing. I understand it, but i don't understand it. Dealers outside my area didn't really want to talk to me because of this. Unfortunate to see new leftovers sitting in some places around the country. Maybe this has been relaxed and maybe it's the same with other manufacturers, I don't know.

I realize this has less to do with dealers then it does the manufacturers, but this is one of the biggest problems that I see facing the recreational boating industry today, where much like the health insurance industry cross market competition is all but removed from the equation. Unfortunately, this creates a vacuum for these dealers to operate within. As a result, customers deal with poor customer service, often inflated non negotiable pricing, etc, because the dealers know a customer has very few options if they want a particular boat. What happened to free market enterprise??? If a customer who lives in Virginia finds the boat they want at a dealer in Rhode Island at a better price then the one in Virginia, then the customer should have the right to buy the boat in Rhode Island, no questions asked.

I agree; and in the last 12 months I think this continuum has changed in favor of the dealers as we are much more concerned with selling our product in a down market than keeping our builders happy. They, in turn, aren't nearly as concerned with rules as they are getting their production lines back running--I'm thinking the tide has changed and locality will mean little going forward--and that is better for all concerned.

• 2 months later...

So, how are sales these days?

Hello Wiley: Sales in northern Ohio are brisk and the good news is that new boats have picked up significantly in the first quarter. Cruisers in particular have started to sell much better up to about 35' for us. Fish boats are always strong here and no exception this year. Our fishing year has started nicely and that is always good for sales as well.

Not record setting, but ahead of the last two years which is very good news.

Thanks for asking!