Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Condensation Under Valve Cover

I have twin inline 6 sterndrives in my boat. I have noticed what I think is an issue with one of the engines during the last couple trips. There is an excessive amount of water condensation that develops under the valve cover on one engine, which translates to milky white oil on top of that cylinder after the boat is back home. No water in the oil on the dipstick. Just a condition that seems to develop after the engine cools. Does anyone have a clue to what could be causing this? The other engine does not develop this condition. Thanks.

Edited by Pooldoo73

I have twin inline 6 sterndrives in my boat. I have noticed what I think is an issue with one of the engines during the last couple trips. There is an excessive amount of water condensation that develops under the valve cover on one engine, which translates to milky white oil on top of that cylinder after the boat is back home. No water in the oil on the dipstick. Just a condition that seems to develop after the engine cools. Does anyone have a clue to what could be causing this? The other engine does not develop this condition. Thanks.

I'd say Oil filler cap/Breather, Breather grommet, Breather hose, or valve cover gasket. The condensate has to be entering as the engine cools, and creates a slight negative pressure in the process. Out of curiosity, is there any sign of oil in the bilge?

No oil in bilge from this engine. I thought it could be sucking back through the breather hose also due to a bad PCV valve on top of the valve cover. Just didn't think it would pull in that much moisture.

How is your thermostat? Is the engine getting up to operating temperature?

Rick

Exhaust elbow or manifold failure is likley. Your getting just enough in to steam butnot put liguid past the rings. Pull the plugs and look for surface rust. You found it early.

I changed the exhaust manifold and elbow after this started. It did it on my last 2 trips after the change, which was irritating to say the least. Both of my engines have a history of running on high end of the safe range for being raw water cooled, in the 180-190 range according to the gauge.

This condition could come from the engine running too cold?