Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Inshore water temperatures in the state (Let us pray)

As many of you are aware inshore water temperatures in the state of South Carolina are getting critically low. Speckled trout mortalities have been reported this week in Swansboro, NC and we want to utilize every resources we have to monitor the situation in our state.

Below is a graph of temperatures measured by the USGS at the Customs House in Charleston as you can see, over the last week the temperature has continued to trend downward currently approaching 8.5 C (46.4 F). Of course this is only a single point measurement and conditions along our coast could vary widely that is why I am contacting ya’ll.

The last significant speckled trout kill observed in our state was in winter 2000-2001 when water temperatures in Charleston got down to 6 C (42.8 F). Thereafter, trout catch per unit effort in our inshore survey dropped precipitously and it took two years to begin rebound. While our biological staff and law enforcement personnel continue to be vigilant and closely monitor the situation, any extra eyes and ears reporting pertinent observations would be helpful.

In the event of a kill we need to document the magnitude and extend of the kill. If you observe dead fish either on the bottom or floating please provide the following to me including: number of fish observed, species, location, date and time. My contact information is below. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Wallace Jenkins Program Coordinator SCDNR

SC Governor's Cup Billfishing Series

phone 843-953-9835

watertempcopy.jpg

I'm praying Rick, that there will be nothing for me to report. I'm just a little south of you at the SC/GA border and the temps are getting dangerously low. We've had the best trout fishing this fall I've seen in a long time, sure would hate to get a fish kill now. Colder temps yet to come, it isn't looking good :(

I think if we get through tuesday night,,we will be OK. Keep your fingers crossed.

Today: Sunny, with a high near 49. West wind between 6 and 13 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 33. West wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 48. West wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 27. North wind around 8 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 53. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 31.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 59.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 35.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43.

Saturday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 60. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott