Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

My new 24 Young with 3 5208's

The Young's do very good work, and they had the resources to allow it. But we build beautiful boats also. It just seems you're putting your boat out there for all of us to "OOH" and "AHH" over...

For those of us in the business, that ain't gonna get it...I've been around them to long, I got over the ooh and ahh factor long ago...

If this seems harsh, then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Bob C

Harsh you think! Your post is nothing more than a negative attack on the owner of this boat and the manufacturer of a quality product. I personally enjoy all the build pictures that boat owners post on this site. Can you please explain your statement, "They had the resources to allow it". I want to make sure I get this right. You are saying people should spend their money on boats that don't have the ooh/ahh factor and are not manufactured by reputable family businesses?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh you think! Your post is nothing more than a negative attack on the owner of this boat and the manufacturer of a quality product. I personally enjoy all the build pictures that boat owners post on this site. Can you please explain your statement, "They had the resources to allow it". I want to make sure I get this right. You are saying people should spend their money on boats that don't have the ooh/ahh factor and are not manufactured by reputable family businesses?

My post was based on, what I saw, an "in your face, I got mine" manner. Now maybe I was wrong, but there was a factor that kind of provoked that post. "3 5208s". Now in my position with Proline, I not only spec in our Garmin electronics packages, I also do the installs. 3 5208s {preferably 5212s) would serve nicely on a 35 Express with an upper station, but a 24 Bay with no upper station? A 5212 at the helm with 2 440s at the bow and stern would have been the proper install, as one does not have the need for chartplotting while operating the trolling motor or fishing off the stern. I saw that, and maybe incorrectly so, as a statement that, "I have this much money, and I'm going to spend it even if it is not the most efficient setup for my boat and it's intended usages". I know how much this stuff costs, I know what their capabilities are, and I know what overkill is...

That being said, we'll move on to Young. An excellent company, but obviously they have the time (read that money) to take 2 months to put a 24' boat out the door. That started from their inception. To produce a "Top Tier" boat when you first start up, well, you better have some resources. They are local to us, and have never tried to compete with us or any other "affordable" boat manufacturer, as far as I know. They started "Top Tier", and that takes bucks. They build an excellent boat, and those of us in the business know that. So when I say "they have the resources to allow it", well, now you may have a better understanding...

On to the "OOH and AAH" factor. A hatch pull is nothing more than a hatch pull, cost regardless. A rod holder, as long as it doesn't corrode, is nothing more than a rod holder, even if it has the Young, or SeaRay, or Pursuit, logo stamped into them. Does it catch more fish? Does it "Wow" the buddies you have on board when you take them out fishing? So what does "bling" really do for a boat, other than to satisfy an ego? What?

Mr. Opaleski has chosen a great boat, and I wish him all the best. But I guess it is not in my nature to put out for all the world to see what I have...I prefer to keep that between the wife and I...

JMHO

Maybe those of us in the boat building business look at things a little differently than those who buy them... <_<

Edited by 250 Osprey

My post was based on, what I saw, an "in your face, I got mine" manner. Now maybe I was wrong, but there was a factor that kind of provoked that post. "3 5208s". Now in my position with Proline, I not only spec in our Garmin electronics packages, I also do the installs. 3 5208s {preferably 5212s) would serve nicely on a 35 Express with an upper station, but a 24 Bay with no upper station? A 5212 at the helm with 2 440s at the bow and stern would have been the proper install, as one does not have the need for chartplotting while operating the trolling motor or fishing off the stern. I saw that, and maybe incorrectly so, as a statement that, "I have this much money, and I'm going to spend it even if it is not the most efficient setup for my boat and it's intended usages". I know how much this stuff costs, I know what their capabilities are, and I know what overkill is...

That being said, we'll move on to Young. An excellent company, but obviously they have the time (read that money) to take 2 months to put a 24' boat out the door. That started from their inception. To produce a "Top Tier" boat when you first start up, well, you better have some resources. They are local to us, and have never tried to compete with us or any other "affordable" boat manufacturer, as far as I know. They started "Top Tier", and that takes bucks. They build an excellent boat, and those of us in the business know that. So when I say "they have the resources to allow it", well, now you may have a better understanding...

On to the "OOH and AAH" factor. A hatch pull is nothing more than a hatch pull, cost regardless. A rod holder, as long as it doesn't corrode, is nothing more than a rod holder, even if it has the Young, or SeaRay, or Pursuit, logo stamped into them. Does it catch more fish? Does it "Wow" the buddies you have on board when you take them out fishing? So what does "bling" really do for a boat, other than to satisfy an ego? What?

Mr. Opaleski has chosen a great boat, and I wish him all the best. But I guess it is not in my nature to put out for all the world to see what I have...I prefer to keep that between the wife and I...

JMHO

Maybe those of us in the boat building business look at things a little differently than those who buy them... <_<

Yikes... you have some serious issues going on. Let me summarize what has taken place for you. Guy asked question about battery usage in another thread and described his boat... forum was interested and asked to see pictures of his boat... Guy posts pictures for forum to see... another Guy jumps all over his back for for buying a better boat than what he builds and reveals some kind of Young money/top tier jealousy thing going on.

** Your next post is where you go on to write how it has nothing to do with jealousy and it is not a better boat... most likely redirecting the attack on me and the boat I most likely paid too much for as well, etc, etc. By the way, I love the little Sea Vee stamps in my rod holders... they probably cost Sea Vee $3 to make and I'm sure I paid hundreds for it.

Don't get me wrong, there is a buyer for Proline and I'm sure it is a very nice boat... but for the record, ZERO people are going to read this post and say to themselves, "this guy makes a fantastic point and not only that, but he sounds like a really great guy to deal with, I think I'll call Proline tomorrow and learn more about their boats"

JMHO (<--- This defends anything bad I might have said, right?)

Maybe those of you in the boat building business should just try being NICE and see how far that takes you.

Maybe those of you in the boat building business should just try being NICE and see how far that takes you.

I'll give it a whirl... :605_thumbs_up:

This is my first post on reelboating but am always reading. I am going to have to agree with everything fish on said. Your response here was not what i expected of a "reputable" boat builder like proline. I always thought proline was a decent company but hearing the response and attack that you have just made to an individual who was excited really changed my mind. And we all know proline is definitely not the best boat out there. But that is another discussion and everyone is entitles to their own opinion. Go ahead attack me but i am just making assumptions as you did, Osprey.

Have a great day.

And congratulations on your new boat its a beauty

This is my first post on reelboating but am always reading. I am going to have to agree with everything fish on said. Your response here was not what i expected of a "reputable" boat builder like proline. I always thought proline was a decent company but hearing the response and attack that you have just made to an individual who was excited really changed my mind. And we all know proline is definitely not the best boat out there. But that is another discussion and everyone is entitles to their own opinion. Go ahead attack me but i am just making assumptions as you did, Osprey.

Have a great day.

Jemendiola,

First, I do not represent Proline, never said I did. I work for Proline, when others asked where I work. I am not afraid to say who I work for, unlike others on this forum, THT, or elsewhere. Are you saying that if we state who we work for, and we present a personal opinion, then we are therefore branded as being the "company spokesperson", and therefore what we say is instantly the opinion of the company? What kind of netherworld do you live in, where you can't not only state who your employer is, but, lest you voice your opinion, live in fear that it may come back to your employer, and you face getting canned? I don't want to live in your world.

I stated my opinion (actually, I toned it down a bit), and it is just that, my opinion. Young makes a high quality boat, and I believe Mr. Opaleski made an excellent choice in the Young 24. But the (3) 5208s is what got me. People with money didn't get that money buy wasting it, or spending stupidly. In my opinion, (2) 5208s on a 24 is overkill, (3) is, well, I won't say what I really think. That is what caught my eye regarding this thread. Had he simply posted a thread on his new Young, I probably would have looked at it and gone my merry way. But to throw that out about the (3) 5208s in the thread title, well, basically, that says to me, "Hey, I've got a few extra thousands to spend unwisely, this is what I did". As I stated before, a single 5208 or even a 5212 at the helm would have sufficed, with 440Cs at the bow and stern. Now that is spending your money wisely, regardless of how much you have...

When I was with Stamas, we had a 370 Express brought back to the plant, '03, that hull delam issues. Basically had to take the whole engine room apart. Boat was easily $500K, yet the gennie was rusted away to nothing, the batt charger, water heater ditto, all the bronze hardware greener than The Hulk, and the whole engine room stank to high heaven. Well, I guess that was a half mil well spent...but I'm sure the owner liked to show his buddies his new toy...

So, therefore, I opine. And I will continue to do so. My bosses don't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, it is I that introduced Mike C to this site. Proline, as a company, didn't do any of this sort of thing, until I suggested it would be good business for Mike to get on here, as well as THT. I have been an INDIVIDUAL member, with no Proline affiliation (other than the fact that I work for them) here on reelboating since it's inception. My member number is 637. I have been on THT since August 2007. AS AN INDIVIDUAL! Want to attack me? Go right ahead. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

But to hide my employer for fear that they may take action against me due to my statements or opinions, well, thanks, but no thanks, you can have your communist world. And I will ALWAYS stand behind the product we build, as I am proud of it, and take great satisfaction in the products and the people of Proline.

I wish Mr. Opaleski all the best with his new boat, I also wish the Young family continued success in these very difficult times...

Any other questions? :1992_beer_cheer:

Have a great day.

Jemendiola,

First, I do not represent Proline, never said I did. I work for Proline, when others asked where I work. I am not afraid to say who I work for, unlike others on this forum, THT, or elsewhere. Are you saying that if we state who we work for, and we present a personal opinion, then we are therefore branded as being the "company spokesperson", and therefore what we say is instantly the opinion of the company? What kind of netherworld do you live in, where you can't not only state who your employer is, but, lest you voice your opinion, live in fear that it may come back to your employer, and you face getting canned? I don't want to live in your world.

I stated my opinion (actually, I toned it down a bit), and it is just that, my opinion. Young makes a high quality boat, and I believe Mr. Opaleski made an excellent choice in the Young 24. But the (3) 5208s is what got me. People with money didn't get that money buy wasting it, or spending stupidly. In my opinion, (2) 5208s on a 24 is overkill, (3) is, well, I won't say what I really think. That is what caught my eye regarding this thread. Had he simply posted a thread on his new Young, I probably would have looked at it and gone my merry way. But to throw that out about the (3) 5208s in the thread title, well, basically, that says to me, "Hey, I've got a few extra thousands to spend unwisely, this is what I did". As I stated before, a single 5208 or even a 5212 at the helm would have sufficed, with 440Cs at the bow and stern. Now that is spending your money wisely, regardless of how much you have...

When I was with Stamas, we had a 370 Express brought back to the plant, '03, that hull delam issues. Basically had to take the whole engine room apart. Boat was easily $500K, yet the gennie was rusted away to nothing, the batt charger, water heater ditto, all the bronze hardware greener than The Hulk, and the whole engine room stank to high heaven. Well, I guess that was a half mil well spent...but I'm sure the owner liked to show his buddies his new toy...

So, therefore, I opine. And I will continue to do so. My bosses don't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, it is I that introduced Mike C to this site. Proline, as a company, didn't do any of this sort of thing, until I suggested it would be good business for Mike to get on here, as well as THT. I have been an INDIVIDUAL member, with no Proline affiliation (other than the fact that I work for them) here on reelboating since it's inception. My member number is 637. I have been on THT since August 2007. AS AN INDIVIDUAL! Want to attack me? Go right ahead. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

But to hide my employer for fear that they may take action against me due to my statements or opinions, well, thanks, but no thanks, you can have your communist world. And I will ALWAYS stand behind the product we build, as I am proud of it, and take great satisfaction in the products and the people of Proline.

I wish Mr. Opaleski all the best with his new boat, I also wish the Young family continued success in these very difficult times...

Any other questions? :1992_beer_cheer:

My opinion is that 250 Osprey is just trying to state that he thinks that the OP spent a little more on electronics than he should have. No harm done, he works for Proline and does the best for there customers, as I am sure Young boats does too! Certain persons jobs are to keep the quality up, but the cost down without making any sacrifices. I have no affiliation of either company, but from what I can see both companies build exceptional boats to there niche/markets. Mr. Osprey was just trying to give his experience on the matter from his niche/market. No need to start any arguments, just casual conversation here!

David

rb-rules.gif

It doesn't seem harsh, it is harsh, and uncalled for from anyone, especially a competitor. The guy rigged the boat of his latest dreams the way HE wants it, HE stroked the checks, HE chose exactly what HE wanted on the boat. It's not up to YOU to decide whether or not HE wasted his money in YOUR opinion.

As far as "not representing Proline", well actually, all employee's represent the company they work for. Maybe your not the official spokesperson, but you do indeed represent them...

Sometime silence is golden.

JMHO..

Tell Mike 'poodle says hi, hope all is well over there....

Scott

Beautiful boat! 3 observations. 1, why no Power Pole, ON THE BOAT NOW THESE ARE CONSTRUCTION PICTURES. 2, the location of the Garmin GPS antenna begs to be kicked off under a number of scenarios--I UNDERSTAND THAT-BUT i AM GOOD WITH IT. 3, are your Suzuki SMIS gauges using the Garmin antenna for speed, or is there a separate GPS antenna USING THE GARMIN I can't see? And do you have a pic of the 5208 head unit at the transom SHE IS UNDER THE BOAT--A THRU HULL? Is the pod that houses the helm 5208s on electrically operated struts, or are they pneumatic, where you simply pull up on the pod?

Not exactly (3) 5208 head units, as we all were expecting...

I would guess (2) 5208s sharing a common transducer. I would assume a 1KW shoot-thru like this Furuno:

Furuno527-IHD1kWTransducerwithInHul.jpg

She is a beautiful boat, don't get me wrong. The Young's do very good work, and they had the resources to allow it. But we build beautiful boats also. It just seems you're putting your boat out there for all of us to "OOH" and "AHH" over...

For those of us in the business, that ain't gonna get it...I've been around them to long, I got over the ooh and ahh factor long ago...

If this seems harsh, then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Bob C

DJ is correct. I simply stated my opinion on the electronics setup of Mr. Opaleski's boat. Now, it is apparently evident that not only is that what he wanted, but that he is perfectly happy with it. Since it is his boat, that is all that counts.

I was at Publix the other day. When I came out, there was a young couple with a baby getting out of an AMC Pacer...a PACER!!! With wood grain siding!!! Probably the ugliest car ever built! But they seemed happy with it, so obviously my opinion about that car doesn't amount to a hill of beans, as far as they are concerned.

After all, it is just my opinion...

Carry on! :1992_beer_cheer: