Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Three Garmin 5208's on 24 foot Boat

I have a 2010 24 foot Bay Boat with a 300 Suzuki motor. On the boat I also have three 5208's. Question-If you were to go out 30 to 40 miles for Grouper (Stop and drop)--would you shut off the engine while fishing and still keep the 5208's on? My fear is that the 5208's would use too much battery power and I might not be able to start the motor??

So you have a Young 24, dual station I would assume, 1 display up top, 2 below. Who did your electronics install, and what did they recommend? I assume you had a dual batt setup out of the factory... :471_confused_face:

BTW, see your identical post on THT got pretty well slam-dunked. Sometimes, they don't play nice over there... :1925_:

Edited by 250 Osprey

Could you post a pic of your boat . . . sounds like an interesting layout

I would have a separate battery for the electronics and one for the engine

There is some sort of electronic gizmo that allows both batteries to be charged when the engine is running while at the same time not allowing the electronics to drain the engine's battery when the engine is not running . . . that way your engine battery remains fully charged

Sorry, can not remember the name.

Could you post a pic of your boat . . . sounds like an interesting layout

I would have a separate battery for the electronics and one for the engine

There is some sort of electronic gizmo that allows both batteries to be charged when the engine is running while at the same time not allowing the electronics to drain the engine's battery when the engine is not running . . . that way your engine battery remains fully charged

Sorry, can not remember the name.

Blue Seas ACR or BEP's VSR. I prefer BEP...

She is a Young 24 and I will post some pic's in the next couple of days. She has two Starting batteries and two for the trolling motor. I also have a swithch that can operatr one,two or both batteries. Being that far out--While we are stopped I more than likely will keep the motor running while fishing and go to one unit. The two units are on the Console and one is by the trolling motor. You are right about the "other" forum--lot of people on that site that are clueless.

She is a Young 24 and I will post some pic's in the next couple of days. She has two Starting batteries and two for the trolling motor. I also have a swithch that can operatr one,two or both batteries. Being that far out--While we are stopped I more than likely will keep the motor running while fishing and go to one unit. The two units are on the Console and one is by the trolling motor. You are right about the "other" forum--lot of people on that site that are clueless.

The 300 Zuke likes it's voltage, not so much for starting, but for maintaining the data within her network. Therefore, a BEP VSR (Voltage Sensitive Relay) is a must on the the house/starting battery circuit. Keep in mind, when far offshore, or in dire need, you can always yank those trolling motor batts and apply them in the "engine starting mode"... :605_thumbs_up:

Keep a well stocked tool box aboard... :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer: