Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

House rental in the Keys

I am looking to rent a house in June for a week in the lower keys. I need GOOD dockage for a 31 ft center console, easy access to deep water, 3 bed 2 bath. Would like a good view and a pool.

I saw some places on Cudjoe bay that looked good, but the bay looks very shallow on the charts, and does not look like I could get in and out of it? Any recommendations and local knowledge would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

You're going to have a couple of issues on many of the Keys trying to rent a home. Monroe County (Keys) has an ordinance that does not allow short term rentals (less than 28 days) for properties that are not hotel/motel properties on many of the Keys. Cudjoe is one unless you rent at Venture Out an RV/Mobile home park. Places to look for weekly rentals of homes would be Marathon/Key Colony Beach, Key West, Key Largo and Islamorada. Check VRBO.com and you'll probably find private owners that will rent illegally, but if you don't create problems with neighbors you'd be ok. Make sure your Oceanside so bridge heights won't make a difference. Don't boat around Cudjoe so cannot comment but most inland canals have cuts to channels that handle reaonable draft boats as long a you stay in the marked channel.

LD

You're going to have a couple of issues on many of the Keys trying to rent a home. Monroe County (Keys) has an ordinance that does not allow short term rentals (less than 28 days) for properties that are not hotel/motel properties on many of the Keys. Cudjoe is one unless you rent at Venture Out an RV/Mobile home park. Places to look for weekly rentals of homes would be Marathon/Key Colony Beach, Key West, Key Largo and Islamorada. Check VRBO.com and you'll probably find private owners that will rent illegally, but if you don't create problems with neighbors you'd be ok. Make sure your Oceanside so bridge heights won't make a difference. Don't boat around Cudjoe so cannot comment but most inland canals have cuts to channels that handle reaonable draft boats as long a you stay in the marked channel.

LD

I know you mentioned the lower keys, but if you will consider the upper keys...Tavernier. Let me know. The house is a 3/2 with plenty of dock space. The house is on bay side with easy access to the ocean.

I am looking to rent a house in June for a week in the lower keys. I need GOOD dockage for a 31 ft center console, easy access to deep water, 3 bed 2 bath. Would like a good view and a pool.

I saw some places on Cudjoe bay that looked good, but the bay looks very shallow on the charts, and does not look like I could get in and out of it? Any recommendations and local knowledge would be great.

Call Ted Dominick at Valhalla Beach ,that is where I stay and fish. Great Great place for fishing!

www.valhallabeach.com

Ted can be reached at 954-410-9067

• 1 month later...

Cudjoe Bay generally has 3+ feet at normal low tide. Biggest issue is the transition from canals to the bay. Canals usually 5-10 feet deep but the "intersections" of them to the open bay often have a "hump" of 6inches to a foot. Usually this is only an issue at lowest tide -- depends on your draft and whether you can be patient for a 1/4-mile or so at slow speed until reaching deep enough water. Other side where I am [Venture Out/Spanish Main Dr] is somewhat better [and has always 6+ feet the back way along the US1 bridge channel] even though we have a "hump" just after our channel markers. Lower Sugarloaf, Ramrod, and Summerland canals farther from the open water have long idle-speed runs to deep water.

HTH,

CudjoeDon