Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Painting "Blemishes" With AwlGrip

My new 1963 :) Bertram has a few blemishes including some minor scratches and paint chips

The hull and superstructure that I want to repair are all fibreglass and all of the repairs are above the water line. Problems are not structural.

The smallest areas to be painted are the size of a screw head, and the largest are about 1 inch by 4 inches

The boat was painted using AwlGrip and I have the name of the colour that was used

I know how to do the repairs. It is the painting part I need help with.

Question: If I do the touch-up with a brush will I get a smooth finish?

Question: Can I do the touch-up with an airbrush? If yes what size tip do I need?

Question: Any suggestions or other stuff I need to know?

Thanks in advance

Gus, the consensus on the 'net seems to be:

First, determine if your boat is finished in Awlgrip, or Awlcraft (the latter is very much like Imron). Then, go to your local Awlgrip agent and obtain a touchup kit, and while you're there, pick up a bottle of Awlgrip (or Awlcraft) solvent/thinner.

To start, first remove any loose flakes of paint then use the solvent to thoroughly clean in and around the scraped or chipped area. Next step, apply a first covering of color, then wait for it to dry then and repeat until the level of paint in the gouge/scrape/chip matches the surrounding area. Afterwords, using very fine grade paper, wet sand the raised excess paint surrounding the gouge until all is as smooth and as level as possible. The last step is to buff the repaired area until it matches the rest of the hull or superstructure.

First, determine if your boat is finished in Awlgrip, or Awlcraft (the latter is very much like Imron). Then, go to your local Awlgrip agent and obtain a touchup kit, and while you're there, pick up a bottle of Awlgrip (or Awlcraft) solvent/thinner.

To start, first remove any loose flakes of paint then use the solvent to thoroughly clean in and around the scraped or chipped area. Next step, apply a first covering of color, then wait for it to dry then and repeat until the level of paint in the gouge/scrape/chip matches the surrounding area. Afterwords, using very fine grade paper, wet sand the raised excess paint surrounding the gouge until all is as smooth and as level as possible. The last step is to buff the repaired area until it matches the rest of the hull or superstructure.

Thank you Ed

Good info here,