Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida Gators coach

wiley

GAINESVILLE -- - In a shocking development on Saturday, Florida coach Urban Meyer is stepping down as Gators coach because of health reasons. The school announced the news Saturday evening.

Meyer admitted himself into a Gainesville hospital the day after the Southeastern Conference Championship Game because of chest pains. Meyer, 45, consulted with Athletics Director Jeremy Foley and President Bernie Machen before coming to a decision.

A Florida staff member close to Meyer told the Sentinel that Meyer has visited the hospital at least twice in the month of December for chest pains, nausea and sickness. The coaching staff did not know of Meyer's decision to step down until Saturday night, the source said. Meyer's chest pains are not life-threatening.

Meyer leaves Florida with a 56-10 record, including a 32-8 record in conference play and a 22-game winning streak that ended at the hands of Alabama.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family. After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

Meyer is expected to coach his final game with the Gators in the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati. Meyer will be available to the media on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. in New Orleans for a Sugar Bowl press conference.

Foley described in a statement the difficulty of Meyer breaking ties with the school. Meyer is arguably the best coach in Florida's storied history after winning two national championships and 85 percent of his games.

The Florida administration offered Meyer time off, according to a UF source, but the coach didn't want to compromise the job or his health. Meyer revealed in a recent Sports Illustrated story that doctors discovered an arachnoid cyst on his brain while working as an assistant at Notre Dame in 1998. The cyst was not life-threatening, doctors told Meyer, but could flare up in the future when the coach became stressed.

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Meyer's resume includes two national championships, two SEC championships, three SEC East crowns and three BCS bowls. Sporting News recently named Meyer "Coach of the Decade. "

The three-time National Coach of the Year is currently the nation's most active winningest coach with a 95-18 career record at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Meyer was 15-1 against traditional rivals Miami, Florida State, Georgia and Tennessee.

Machen, who helped hire Meyer in 2004, said he's "saddened" by Meyer's decision but also respects it.

Machen eluded to Meyer's current situation in an interview with the Sentinel in February.

"I think what will happen to Urban is he won't go somewhere else, he'll just burn out and quit," Machen said. "He'll reach the point he can't do it any longer at the level he demands of himself. Hopefully it's not for 10 years."

Taking a page from Brett Favre's book, Meyer has apparently now decided to "un-retire" and instead take a leave of absence from his FSU duties.

NEW ORLEANS - One of the most driven coaches in football must walk away from the game that ultimately drives him.

At least for a couple of months.

Despite taking a leave of absence from the Florida Gators football program to get healthy, coach Urban Meyer plans to be back in time for the 2010 season.

When asked why he retracted on Saturday night's resignation, Meyer said "the players."

"I do in my gut believe that will happen," Meyer said of a 2010 return during Sunday's Sugar Bowl press conference.

The No. 5 Gators (12-1) play No. 4 Cincinnati (12-0) on Friday in the Superdome.

Meyer, 45, shocked the college football world Saturday night with news that he was stepping down as Florida Gators coach to recover from health scares, mainly from chest pains.

Meyer changed his mind while on the practice field Sunday with his team, telling his players before hopping onto the plane to New Orleans that offensive coordinator Steve Addazio would be the interim coach until he returns.

Several teammates cried when they found out Meyer was quitting Saturday, only to celebrate less than 24 hours later. His wife Shelley and three kids, who were in attendance at the press conference, didn't find out about the news until meeting Meyer at the airport.

"To not try would not be the right thing to do," Meyer said.

Foley calls Meyer's rehabilitation a "long-term conversation," and Meyer is expected to officially step away from the team on Jan. 2. He's not allowed to visit the UF football offices for an undetermined amount of time.

The nature of Meyer's health issues still aren't exactly clear. Meyer declined to answer certain questions about his health such as whether doctors recommended for him to step away from coaching.