Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anyone Tried to Buy a Boat Lately?

This was not the case. This was a repo boat and the electronics and a few other things had been striped. They were asking 40K for the boat and 2500 for the trailer. I just asked for the trailer to be inclued in the deal. By the time I put 5 or 6 thousand more in the boat it would have been similar to what they were selling in boat tader etc.

Too bad about the 24SS.

If I priced a boat at say 10% to 20% below dealer cost to turn it, and you offered me 10% below that, I would decline. Politely, but none the less, could not do it.

This was not the case. This was a repo boat and the electronics and a few other things had been striped. They were asking 40K for the boat and 2500 for the trailer. I just asked for the trailer to be inclued in the deal. By the time I put 5 or 6 thousand more in the boat it would have been similar to what they were selling in boat tader etc.

Too bad about the 24SS.

If I priced a boat at say 10% to 20% below dealer cost to turn it, and you offered me 10% below that, I would decline. Politely, but none the less, could not do it.

strange thing going on with new and used boats, usually 24' and below.

In the case of new, business being as it is, dealer inventories of small new boats has never been lower.

The lenders, the floorplan folks have for a large part made it very difficult for a dealer to inventory in any quanity, and for a very large part, the dealer doesn't want to anyway.

We, PRO-LINE, have just introduced an internal floorplan arrangement with selected dealers to overcome, we hope, the problem. If the dealer doe's not stock the product, our people cant work. If the dealer stocks the product, with our money, not his, then we anticipate the product turning, and our people working.

As to used, also business being as it is, the lack of new boats being sold in any kind of numbers has greatly limited the trades, the used boat selection. It's been a topic lately. The used boat market is far less of a buyers market than some think. Sure, plenty of used boats out there. Problem is, desireable used boats at a reasonable price, not neccessarily a "steal", a fair price, are not there in any quanity at all. My dealers are trying to buy all they can get.

Repo's are a seperate issue altogeather. In the case of a new boat repo, sometimes it's the same price as I would sell one, sometimes it's less. Lots of variables there. With me, missing parts, broken something or other, wrong props, undisclosed hours, the customer is 100% covered by my company. With a liquidator you'll be signing an "as is". Sometimes that's ok, sometimes not so good.

The price on a repo is determined by the lendor, the owner of the boat. It is not determined by the liquidator. I sold two this week, both 29'S. In both cases the product sat long enough that the bank took the offers I submitted to them. A few months ago, they would not have. BTW, in both cases the two buyers are 100% bullitproof as to condition, being complete, everything there, everything in sound working condition, and certified that no hours exsist on the product. The buyer is the first user.

Small boats in general, the "deals" have for a large part gone away. There's some, but not nearly the quanity that exsisted six months ago. I'm sold out of some of my most popular models.

I truly anticipate, by spring, the best deals will have gone away.

Maybe I'm right, maybe not, lets see.

Mike,

Glad to see you over here. I enjoyed reading your posts over there and I have learned a lot from them. Doubt I could have showed your restraint sometimes though.

Butch

rb-rules.gif

Too Reel,

Apologize for going O/T on you.

Butch

"Restraint"? Not a big deal.

I expect a heckler now and then, it goe's with the territory.

Fot the most part I'm not beat up very much.

After all, God invented a sense of humor, and alchohol, for such occasions.

She anticipated that for me.