Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

An Old Wooden Party Boat Bites The Dust

I just read this week that the Port Jeff Ace was demolished and trucked away. Built in 1962, she fished out of Port Jefferson for quite a few years.

http://www.northshoreoflongisland.com/Articles-i-2009-12-03-82337.112114-sub18235.112114_Nautical_nostalgia_takes_a_licking_at_boat_ramp_in_PJ.html

Just seems like a waste:

1) Why couldn't the boat be used a floating barge or the sort?

2) Why couldn't the wood be used for fire wood?

Most of the wood is going to have paint or varnish on it.

As for using it as a floating barge; I think it needed a lot of work. The hull was in really rough shape

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason the boat had to be demolished was the owners were stingy with repair and upkeep. There is no reason a wooden hull can't last for a long long time, unless it is left to rot.

Here in the Bay, there are many wooden work boats built in the early part of the last century still out there tonging "arsters" and clamming.

checked out the history on this boat on another website & didn't realize i fished on her in the early 80's when she was the ''lenny'' out of belmar

Speaking of Belmar, the Lenny, the Optimist Queen, the Spray III, and the first Captain Cal were all sisterships (built by Deebold, IIRC) sporting a 65' LOA , with a 17' foot beam, and powered by twin Detroit 6-71Ns. I worked deck on Friday & Saturday nights on the Spray III, during the Summer of 1981, and made many an offshore Cod trip on her during the following Winter and Spring.

Edited by fubar512