Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mercruiser 5.7 Riser bad.

Lost my starboard engine at my dock. Very lucky because I had just returned from a trip to Charleston. I removed the head and it has water in it and the engine is frozen. My question is do I have to change the manifold with the riser? The manifold appears to be OK but i want to be sure. Is there any way to check it. I have a 1991 SEARAY 280 Weekender with 5.7 260 hp, 350 cu engines with v drives.

also does any one know the rotation of the starboard engine with a v drive. Thanks for any info. Going to install a remanufac. long block.

Lost my starboard engine at my dock. Very lucky because I had just returned from a trip to Charleston. I removed the head and it has water in it and the engine is frozen. My question is do I have to change the manifold with the riser? The manifold appears to be OK but i want to be sure. Is there any way to check it. I have a 1991 SEARAY 280 Weekender with 5.7 260 hp, 350 cu engines with v drives.

also does any one know the rotation of the starboard engine with a v drive. Thanks for any info. Going to install a remanufac. long block.

You don't have to change the manifold but why would you not replace it after spending all that money on a new engine? There is no way to be sure of how long it will last. You could pressure test it but that only means it is good or bad right now. Standard practice in the industry is to replace the manifolds and risers when the engine is replaced, and many shops recommend replacing them at two years regardless of whether they have failed or not.

Your stbd engine is likely opposite rotation of your port engine. Stbd engine is usually but not always a right hand rotation, but v-drives and counter-rotating transmissions can complicate figuring it out.

Look at the distributor and check the firing order clockwise from the cyl # 1 position, look at the firing order cast on the had or block, or open up the RW pump and check which way the impeller vanes bend to determine engine rotation. Ignore the propeller-it tells you nothing about engine rotation if you don't know whether the transmission is same or reverse output. Don't know about Mercs but FWIW the Model # on Crusaders includes codes for year, engine rotation, transmission type & ratio and more. Another clue on Crusaders is the Std/LH engines have newer type smaller starter with no nose cover/ Counter-rotating /RH engines have old-type larger starter with nose gear cover- again, don't know if Merc does this also.

The standard "LH' engine rotates counterclockwise as viewed from the flywheel end toward the pulley end. RH is clockwise. Write rotation of engines and transmission on them & in your logbook to avoid future confusion.

Never heard of anybody replacing a RW manifold (without casting defect) at 2 yrs ( normally 3-5+yrs for RWC ex. manifolds & risers ?) , but I'd certainly expect you wouldn't want to put 18 yr old ex. manifolds on a replacement block even if FW cooled, though FWC manifold might still be OK. Personally I wouldn't take the risk of replacing with a reman block either. Many have good luck with them but there have been so many reports of $ problems. Suggest considering new long block or new complete FWC engine .

Edited by Little Katuna

You don't have to change the manifold but why would you not replace it after spending all that money on a new engine? There is no way to be sure of how long it will last. You could pressure test it but that only means it is good or bad right now. Standard practice in the industry is to replace the manifolds and risers when the engine is replaced, and many shops recommend replacing them at two years regardless of whether they have failed or not.

Your stbd engine is likely opposite rotation of your port engine. Stbd engine is usually but not always a right hand rotation, but v-drives and counter-rotating transmissions can complicate figuring it out.