Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

63 foot Sportfish down in South Carolina

rumour is that it is a just sold Bertram 630 from 2006

here is the report from the coast guards:

A Coast Guard 41-foot Utility Boat crew from Station Georgetown, S.C., transported two people to shore after they were rescued early Friday morning by a good Samaritan. U.S. Coast Guard photo.

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Two people are safe after the 63-foot sport fishing vessel, Absolutely, they were transporting sank about 20 miles east of Myrtle Beach Friday morning.

Jason Miliys, 34, and Jamie Castantine, 33, were aboard the vessel when they radioed for help. Good Samaritan's, Craig Hancock, Jeremy Cahoon and Josh White, all from Grantsboro, N.C., aboard the fishing vessel Pacifics were in the vicinity of the sinking vessel when they heard the radio transmission and were able to respond. Once on scene, they safely removed Milius and Castantine from the sinking vessel in good condition.

A Coast Guard 41-foot Utility Boat crew picked up the passengers from the Pacifics and transported them to Coast Guard Station Georgetown.

Milius and Castantine were hired to transport the vessel from Lindenhurst, N.Y., to West Palm Beach, Fla. The vessel left this morning from Wrightsville Beach, N.C. and destined for a stop-over in Hilton Head, S.C.

The cause of the incident is under investigation.

The Coast Guard reminds boaters to have the proper emergency equipment aboard that includes an emergency life raft, life jackets and proper signaling equipment as well as a VHF radio.

Edited by PowerYachtBlog

• 4 weeks later...

someone posted this letter from Bertram President on the YF, this was a reply sent to those who asked information to Bertram about this incident

"Dear Bertram Employees, Dealers, and Friends,

I am writing to provide some additional information on the unfortunate November 6th sinking of a Bertram 63 off the coast of South Carolina.

As I indicated earlier, I am committed to providing complete and up-to-date information as the investigation progresses and details emerge. During this time, I am devoting my full attention to this matter.

The key points I want to convey about the incident are:

Most importantly, the captain and his friend/passenger were safely taken off the boat without injury.

While tropical storm force currents initially complicated the search, the sunken boat was finally located recently in approximately 80 feet of water a short distance from the rescue point.

The initial data we received --- from the boat’s captain, from eye-witnesses who arrived on the scene to aid in the rescue, and from analysis of the debris in the water --- clearly indicated that the boat hit something in the water.

All new information collected since the event, further supports an apparent collision with something in the water.

There is substantial evidence that the Bill Perry Reef Buoy at the location of the incident was recently struck with significant force.

An examination of the boat by divers at its resting point reveal that the starboard rudder shaft is bent aft and the starboard propeller exhibits a substantial ding consistent with that propeller hitting something in the water.

The extensive damage to the bow portion of the craft is also consistent with an impact of significant force that could have breached the hull and created an unrecoverable scenario.

It is important to note that these are only preliminary findings based on a first dive of the craft. Other details may be uncovered as investigators begin the intensive work of piecing back together the events that led to the sinking of this vessel.

We feel that it is important to keep you up to date on the findings and will continue to update you on the facts surrounding this accident as they come available.

Please feel free share this information with all parties you feel may benefit from the information.

And if you have any questions or comments on this matter, please contact me at +1 305 633 - 8011.

Regards,

Michael W. Myers

President

Bertram Yacht Inc.

(305) 633 - 8011"

the Bertram is not cored below waterline and none of its model or has been as far AFAIK

here is the building method for a 630 and any other Bertram

HULL AND DECK CONSTRUCTION

Deck: hand laid-up molded fiberglass hull with solid core and sandwich construction

Flybridge: hand laid-up molded fiberglass and sandwich construction

Hull sides above waterline - vacuum bagged with divinycell core

Hull: hand laid-up fiberglass, solid keel, chines and bottom with vacuum bagged cored hullsides

Solid fiberglass hull bottom. Hull sides & superstructure laminated with high density foam.

the underwater photos on YF confirm this is a solid bottom boat

most of Sportfish yachts are built glass only accept Viking (balsa) and Cabo (corecell) and Egg Harbour (but its very confusing what they do on the other brands ie. Davis etc)

Cabo and Viking are ironically the two best sold brands in this type of boats

Here are the pictures of the boat as she rests.

Incredible amount of damage done.

I have no ideas on what really happened but I can only think she was cruising along at a good clip and came up from a trough, stuffed the bow into the next wave and caught the bouy on the way up tearing the bow off then the rush of incoming water just blew this boat apart. I am no boat engineer but how else could this amount of damage be caused from a bouy that size?

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/12624-yachtforums-exclusive-underwater-pictures-sunken-bertram-630-a.html

Edited by one4water