Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Volvo QL Trim Tabs

We (Proline) used to use QLs on the 23 Sport/Express/DC/Pilot series, but we switched over to Lencos because of repeated failures in all aspects of the system. They are also EXTREMELY sensitive and when you take your finger off the button, the tab doesn't stop at that very moment.

Lenco and us, along with Carolina Skiff, developed this tab, the Limited Space Trim Tab, which we now use exclusively on the same series of boats. They work great.

I've used and installed Bennetts, I've used and installed Lencos, I've used and installed QLs. I'll take Lencos every time.

:605_thumbs_up:

BTW, I see Welder and I have differences. I have heard they work better on bigger boats, where slight movements of the tab aren't felt as much...but I'll still take Lencos. :605_thumbs_up: :605_thumbs_up:

I have no personal experience with the QL tabs but I have read some reviews on various forums where the people weren't happy with the way worked. I really can't say if it was because they worked in a different way or not at all.

Seems to me the conventional tab is a very simple but effective way to trim the boat. My boat is a 1994 and it has the original Bennet tab system. I replaced the planes for some bigger ones but the system itself has never been touched.

The most prevalent issue I have found with QLs is the amount of torque applied to the mounting screws of the tabs themselves, not to mention the sensitivity and continuation of extend/retract after the switch is released.

Over-tightening of one mounting screw over another on the tabs can result in the tab being "racked", which puts undo effort on the plastic gears inside the tab housings that raise and lower the planes. 2 issues rear their ugly heads. One, the gears break or oblong on their shafts/bearings and no longer engage properly. Two, if the tab housing is "racked", it causes the gaskets that seal the unit to be compromised, thus allowing water intrusion.

Lencos, Bennetts, hell, give me K-planes! :1992_beer_cheer:

Hey Chris, :605_thumbs_up: on the upcoming offspring!

I have some of those QLs that Osprey installed ;-) and I'm very happy with them.

In fact - if the boat hadn't had them there's a good chance I would have bought a different boat!

As a diver I just don't need pieces of steel sticking out at my shins while boarding in 2-4' seas. So for me it was either a boat with a platform on the back, recessed tabs, or the QLs. Yes I know they really aren't THAT big of a hazard but it's one more thing to deal with and I'd rather not.

The QLs are more responsive than a traditional tab - but they have a digital control unit. It really couldn't be any simpler. You press (tap) the button and it moves down in 1/8 increments that are indicated with LEDs. No more of that holding both switches down for 2 seconds, waiting 5 seconds to see what happened nonsense. I know in certain types of conditions I want 20% tab and I just tap twice and they lock into place almost instantly.

I do get a little nervous every time someone from PL asks me how they are doing, lol, but I will definitely put another set on if/when these fail.

I have some of those QLs that Osprey installed ;-) and I'm very happy with them.

In fact - if the boat hadn't had them there's a good chance I would have bought a different boat!

As a diver I just don't need pieces of steel sticking out at my shins while boarding in 2-4' seas. So for me it was either a boat with a platform on the back, recessed tabs, or the QLs. Yes I know they really aren't THAT big of a hazard but it's one more thing to deal with and I'd rather not.

The QLs are more responsive than a traditional tab - but they have a digital control unit. It really couldn't be any simpler. You press (tap) the button and it moves down in 1/8 increments that are indicated with LEDs. No more of that holding both switches down for 2 seconds, waiting 5 seconds to see what happened nonsense. I know in certain types of conditions I want 20% tab and I just tap twice and they lock into place almost instantly.

I do get a little nervous every time someone from PL asks me how they are doing, lol, but I will definitely put another set on if/when these fail.

Flot,

Point well taken sir. Just as with anything, there are pros and cons. I recently replaced a Lenco actuator that obviously the seal at the top of the actuator housing did not seal as it was intended. I took it apart when I got home and the insides looked like an actuator from hell! I have a replacement actuator on standby when his portside one goes (and it probably will, they were installed as a set).

Glad your QLs are working like champs. If you ever have an issue, drop me a line. :)