Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailering to Florida

Lots of different opinions here, If you are not commercial and both the truck and trailer are registered out of state, I would not expect to be ticketed for the number of axles with brakes. Again, the operative word is expect. It is up to the guy with the badge. Do you have enough truck? Yeah, you have enough to pull two of them. Should you hire a guide and rent instead? No, unless you are happy to know the meter is running while you explore an interesting looking cove or decide to take a nap.

About the trailer: I've seen more problems as a result of recent work done than from going as is. Those folks who take the car to the dealer for pre-vacation service are tempting fate to me. I'd jack up each axle and spin the wheels. Unless they are growling, I'd leave the bearings and seals alone. Take an infrared thermometer and make sure the lead tire on each side of the trailer is up to the task. I usually run one load range higher on the front axle, because it is that axle that gets to heave the trailer up and over the potholes at the edge of bridges. Two spares sounds like overkill, but I've been there. One of them can be anything that holds air, but I took out two tires when the winch handle fell off in Slidell, LA on a Sunday morning at 5 am. No one sells trailer tires in Slidell on Sunday morning. I've towed coast to coast several times and never needed a bearing, but have used the temp gun at every stop. I've re-adjusted bearings on several new trailers because they were set up too tight, but never had any other problem with a bearing that was quiet at the beginning of a trip.

Here's 12,000 pounds of boat and trailer behind an F-250 2WD on its way from Florida to California.

FLLAug07074.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic