Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Riddle Me This, I don't Get It!

First, a disclaimer, I am just a poor dumb 'ol southern boy, born in the swamps of Georgia. Sometimes I have difficulty understanding things. Maybe someone can clue me in to the customs of boat ownership in South Florida.

Here Goes:

So, you are fairly wealthy and own a big expensive home in South Florida.

You like to fish, and upgrade to one of those big go fast boats with three or more monster motors hanging off the back. Maybe $150,000 to $250,000 or more.

Then when you are not fishing, you park the boat in front of the home in the driveway. Or you hang it on a boat lift in the yard, over a nice creek or other salt water body that will make good a fast escape.

This way, you are doing all you can to advertise "Steal this Boat" without putting a big neon sign on it.

So, it gets stolen, when you find out it is stolen, it is already on the way to Cuba.

Then you post on all the boating and fishing forums, crying that you boat is gone.

The part I do not understand: How come, with all the money you obviously have, don't you build a steel storage building (around $30,000) or lease a secure building to store the boat in? This way, you will not be advertising "Come and Get It". Out of sight, out of mind. Might even reduce your insurance rates.

We all know that the thieves cruise around the suburbs looking for boats to steal, coming back later when no one is around.

But, I am just a dumb ol' southern boy.

PS, I am boatless now, shopping for another. But when I was a boat owner, the boat was locked up in a garage when not in use. Plus the property is fenced with a 6 foot fence and a locked gate and 4 large guard dogs have free range on the property. Around 180 to 200 pounds each. "Land Sharks" my neighbor calls them. They alert on strangers, then have a snack if someone ignors the warning signs and is dumb enough to jump the fence. Backup plan is the caretaker that lives in an apartment on the property, he is here almost 24/7. An old gray hair trip wire vet that learned a few things from Uncle Sam and the dark side when in S.E. Asia in the 60's.

Edited by Altamaha

Sounds like you live in a prison camp not a home , most folks keep there boats on a lift for the same reason mine is in a slip . We like the freedom to go when we want . I could not like in a place where I need a 6 foot fence and guard dogs , I work hard to live in a safe neighborhood no need for guard dogs

freedom is priceless

Edited by prowlersfish

Sounds like you live in a prison camp not a home , most folks keep there boats on a lift for the same reason mine is in a slip . We like the freedom to go when we want . I could not like in a place where I need a 6 foot fence and guard dogs , I work hard to live in a safe neighborhood no need for guard dogs

freedom is priceless

Prowler, Is what the OP is saying , is he worked to hard for his toys to let some scum bag take them and he Protects his stuff and LAUGHS when said scumbags climb the fence.

And FYI , there are NO safe neighbor hoods . As a mater of fact , most scumbags go for the better Hoods cuz they have better Sh!t.

I sure hope that IF my boat was stolen from my fenced property I could post here in an effort to have some fellow members be aware my rig is out there somewhere and maybe an extra pair of eyes could help locate it.

It might seem like I was crying the blues, but in fact all I want is some help to recover my rig...seems like the cops have bigger fish to fry.

I think I take all the right precautions, but some of these scumbags would be ruthless enough to do away with your guard dogs; now not only is your boat stolen, but your pets need a burial....

Here in South Florida most properties don't have the space for a steel garage to hold a 38' rig. Not to mention most cities or communities will not allow it. And if you live on the water the reason is to have the convienence of the boat being ready to go. So a storage garage would defeat that purpose anyway.

So what do we do? Well these days you shoule have a GPS tracking device in your boat so that if it moves from its spot you get a phone call, email, text or all of the above. Then from your phone or computer you can instantly locate the boat and alert the police. These systems work, I have one.

I also live on the water with my boat docked right out back. I have a thick cable lock securing the boat to the dock.

But the bottom line is that if they want it they will get it....even if its in a steel garage.

The thieves don't usually just cruise the berbs looking for boats. They spot them out on the water, at marinas or on the road. Then they either tail the boat to see where its kept or they record the registration numbers and do a trace to see who owns it and his address.

The crooks also cruise boating and fishing forums like this and others where people that are proud of their boats post pictures of them. And believe it or not most people don't blur out the registration numbers or tag numbers of the trailer and thats how the boat is located.

Yes...its tough and expensive to own a "target boat" down here, but its all worth it. Especially if I can actually catch some dirt bag trying to steal my boat. He will leave in a body bag or an ambulance.

Here in South Florida most properties don't have the space for a steel garage to hold a 38' rig. Not to mention most cities or communities will not allow it. And if you live on the water the reason is to have the convienence of the boat being ready to go. So a storage garage would defeat that purpose anyway.

So what do we do? Well these days you shoule have a GPS tracking device in your boat so that if it moves from its spot you get a phone call, email, text or all of the above. Then from your phone or computer you can instantly locate the boat and alert the police. These systems work, I have one.

I also live on the water with my boat docked right out back. I have a thick cable lock securing the boat to the dock.

But the bottom line is that if they want it they will get it....even if its in a steel garage.

The thieves don't usually just cruise the berbs looking for boats. They spot them out on the water, at marinas or on the road. Then they either tail the boat to see where its kept or they record the registration numbers and do a trace to see who owns it and his address.

The crooks also cruise boating and fishing forums like this and others where people that are proud of their boats post pictures of them. And believe it or not most people don't blur out the registration numbers or tag numbers of the trailer and thats how the boat is located.

Yes...its tough and expensive to own a "target boat" down here, but its all worth it. Especially if I can actually catch some dirt bag trying to steal my boat. He will leave in a body bag or an ambulance.

Thanks gents, ScarabChris had the answer I was looking for.

The other answers were what I was not looking for, but expected.