Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

standard horizon 850

I've had great experiences with ICOM M-32...they aren't made anymore, went to the M-34 as the base ICOM model...I hope they are as good.

During the summer we have a bunch of these that are used and abused all day every day. They've held up to repeated drops, every sort of weather, recharged every day, etc. Never had a malfunction, the batteries still last all day (being used..not just listening) no signs of corrosion, etc. They get very good reception and have good transmit power...I've even had the harbormaster borrow it when he can't communicate with somebody on his hand held.

The only problem I can say I've seen is that after about 4 years of use all the clips on the back have broken off. They can be repaired with a properly large but ugly application of gorilla glue, but its a pain. If this is a backup that will never be an issue for you....it took years of everyday use to do that.

My experience with the 850 has been using one on my friends boat. With that said I have an ICOM M72. Here's a comparison of what I've seen.

The SH 850 has a smalled battery L1150 mAH that equates to about 9 hours of use depending on how you have the GPS settings selected. It has a 6 watt transmit capacity and has DSC functionality including position polling. It floats too.

The ICOM M72 has a bigger battery L2000 mAH that equated to about 15-16 hours of use (5% transmit/5 receive/90% standby). It has a 6 watt transmit capacity but does not have DSC functionality. It is rated IPX8 in other words you can submerge it.

Both units have crystal clear sound and are rugged when it comes to everyday use. I know my M72 has been beat up pretty good.

Either way you go your getting terrific products from either vendor.