Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

A/C circulation pump problem

So for a while now I couldn't seem to get much pressure out of the AC circulation pump. I racked my brains going through the system but found no obvious problems.

Today I decided to cut the pipe out between the thru hull seacock where the pump pulls raw water and the pump and this is what I found.

Boat009-2.jpg

Boat007-3.jpg

I would never have looked at this first because I just re-piped the system about 7 months ago when I put in a new pump and strainer.

Needless to say its flowing like crazy now. This time I put a quick disconnect at the pump and the seacock so I can pull that section of pipe out to clean it.

Damn Zebra muscles.. :1898_:

Edited by ScarabChris

So Chris,

That would imply that they kind of deposit their little ones in the surrounding waters, the little ones get washed/sucked up into your intake, take up residence, grow up, and totally F up your AC system...

That would also imply that there is no known preventative measure to keep their infestation from happening...

I would agree with your entire statement.

I heard that these zebra muscles are becoming a real problem. They weren't native to the US but were carried in from other countries on the bottom of ships.

Now they are infesting our fresh and brackish waters.

http://www.asi-group.com/engineering/Zebra...sel_Control.htm

Chris,

Granted, this control mechanism has to do with water plants, but Chlorine seems to be the method of choice. How to introduce it into your slip and maintain it's presence is another story. How much research have you done?

in my experience, barnacles and mussels love PVC, i occasionally will still do PVC manifolds, but never any long runs with pvc pipe. a few of my customers have they're boats plumbed with PVC trunk lines thru the hole boat to supply their a/c units, its a nightmare! alot of captains are putting chlorine tablets (for pools) in their sea strainers to help eliminate the growth upstream and in the strainer bowls. - seems to help.

I know it's off topic, but what boat do those triple Verados belong to, off your port bow forward?

hey Bob, i'm pretty sure that was a 38 Fountain. its at my in/out storage so the scenery changes quite frequently, but there is a few of us that have our boats in the water almost every weekend, and that 38 is usually one of them

Edited by eliteftlaud