Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Teleflex Steering - Smartstick problem

petrel

My Raymarine rudder reference bought the farm, so I decided to replace it with a Teleflex Smartstick. E-mailed teleflex , before ordering the smartstick, to confirm that it would work with my setup and gave them all of the partnumbers.

When I attempted to install and test the smartstick, the steering cylinder galled the smartstick, ruining the finish and bending the brackets. Sent photos to Teleflex and they informed me that my cylinders and setup were incompatible with the smart stick! However, they would be happy to exchange my entire setup with a new one that would work!

I received two new steering cylinders, a new smartstick, new low profile sender, and four quarts of hydrauilic fluid, free of charge! Heck, all I was fishing for was a refund.

I am planning on doing the replacement as soon as I figure out how to purge the old hydraulic fluid out of the system. Appears that the previous owner used some sort of red oil in the system that I am afraid is incompatible. Anyone know how to purge all of the hydraulic fluid from a teleflex system?

My Raymarine rudder reference bought the farm, so I decided to replace it with a Teleflex Smartstick. E-mailed teleflex , before ordering the smartstick, to confirm that it would work with my setup and gave them all of the partnumbers.

When I attempted to install and test the smartstick, the steering cylinder galled the smartstick, ruining the finish and bending the brackets. Sent photos to Teleflex and they informed me that my cylinders and setup were incompatible with the smart stick! However, they would be happy to exchange my entire setup with a new one that would work!

I received two new steering cylinders, a new smartstick, new low profile sender, and four quarts of hydrauilic fluid, free of charge! Heck, all I was fishing for was a refund.

I am planning on doing the replacement as soon as I figure out how to purge the old hydraulic fluid out of the system. Appears that the previous owner used some sort of red oil in the system that I am afraid is incompatible. Anyone know how to purge all of the hydraulic fluid from a teleflex system?

I would imagine you could follow the bleed procedure and run the system dry.

• 4 weeks later...

Did the works today. Finished up the cylinder installation, purged the old hydraulic fluid out, installed the new smartstick, and a new helm seal. Filled the system with new hydraulic fluid and purged the air from the system and everything seemed to work great until.....I tried to trim my motors up and the cylinders hit the transom!

Fortunately, I was standing at the transom while my son trimmed the motors up, and I noticed it before any damage could be done. AND while I was studying on that issue, my son discovered that the new smartstick had been bent and galled by the tie bar yoke bolt!

Just an e-mail to Teleflex. Sure am sick and tired of this project!