Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Shrink Wrap vs. Big Blue tarp

• 3 weeks later...

We always use a tarp to cover our boat. Like others have said you need to keep the tarp tight and you need a solid ridge over the center line of the boat to make a slope for the snow to slide off. Another thing we do is use a tarp large enough so that we tie the tarp to the trailer. This minimizes the chafing/scratching the sides of the hull. With a correctly built support a good tarp will hold up pretty well to wind and snow loads. However if it's done halfa$$ you will be out in the middle of a blizzard trying to tie down a tarp......not fun!

The shrink wrap is probably better over all but much more $$$$. We just purchased a new tarp 25'x40' ($55) after 6 seasons of use.

3+' of snow.... notice boat to the right in the picture

Blizzard2005004.jpg

Shrink isn't airtight, and any good installer will include vents and a zippered door.

I shrink because I have the following requirements:

No debris (e.g. leaves) enter the enclosure.

No snow enters the enclosure.

The enclosure is highly resistant to high winds and ice (not that this ever happens in MN).

Does not require adjustment; and only minimal off-season inspection.

If a tarp provides the level of protection you want, then by all means use one.

We're not talking about a wood pile, here. Why wouldn't you want maximum protection (and piece of mind) for your boat in the off-season?

I think I'll stick with shrink.

I decided shrink wrap is the way to go. I am too far from the storage place in the winter to check on it and even though I would try to make it secure, the peace of mind knowing it is wrapped tight is worth it. Besides, if the yard wraps it and in tears or gets damaged while there, they will re-wrap it and make sure all is good. Plus I really don't feel like dealing with the tarp during the season. it will be too big to clean, dry and store easily. Its too late to have a canvass cover made for this winter, maybe next year. We'll see.

oh yeah, remember this comment: "I trust you realize that you probably just jinxed yourself by counting on a mild winter. Prepare for blizzards, Pennsylvania and New Jersey! "

Well I saw snow on a car on my way in to work this morning. Now that's effing depressing. I was supposed to go fishing tomorrow. mid 40's and rain all damn day might keep that from happening.

I hate winter. Anyone want someone to keep their boat running in Florida for the winter while they vacation in ski country?

Shrink also has the advantages of being slicker than canvas and not requiring as much support. Properly installed shrinkwrap ends up being a lot tighter than most other options. That taut surface offers several things. One being less movement and that generally means less chance of it working loose and causing damage to the boat surfaces. Another benefit is it's ability to shed loads. A tight, slick surface will slough off snow better. These assume it having been properly installed.

The downsides to shrink are it's a one-shot installation and it's wasteful. You can't typically re-use it.