Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Best portable GPS?

I work on a lot of different boats. Some have great electronics, some have nothing but a compass and radio. My Garmin 76c isn't cutting it anymore in those situations. My old eyes are needing something bigger. I want something I can carry with me, set up quickly without a permanent mount and run off an internal battery. I saw a Garmin 276c that looks good. I'm sure there are other choices. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Just read up on the 376c with XM wx radio. Wow, that thing is the bomb. I want one; I need one. I can hear my daughter say, "welcome to the 21 century, Dad."

Edited by JeffK

I believe that is a discontinued product , though you might be able to find a new or refurb one. That one would need add'l marine detail charts.

It looks to me the better larger portable preloaded marine G2 chart version unit with weather capability now is GPSMap 478.

Thanks. Man, I'm so far behind the times. Do you know if the 478 is backwardly compatable with the GSD 20? That's what I have on my personal boat. It would be nice if it hooked up.

If you can't fnd a hand-held to your liking you could make up a "suit-case" system. I'd recomend a battery similiar to this in case there isn't a power port available.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

You can get similiar batteries from many sources including a local battery shop. They are very reliable and are often used for backup power on security systems. I've used one for a fish-finder, and later as a power pack, for years.

Water-proof cases are available in a variety of sizes and shapes so that should be no-problem. Your selection of GPS need not be limited to internal antennae either since there would be a variety of mounting options available for quick attachment to/in the case or a spot convenient to the helm.

Good luck!

I got an email from Garmin and the 478 is campatable with my GSD 20. So I'm all set and will order the 478. Thanks guys for your good advice. This is a great source of knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Jeff