Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boston In Water Boat Show Cancelled

The 11th annual Boston In-Water Boat Show has been cancelled, according to a release from organizers.

The 2009 show, which was scheduled for Oct. 1-4 at the Seaport World Trade Center on Boston Harbor, suffered from a lack of exhibitor support.

“We simply could not get enough exhibitor support with financial commitment to make the numbers work for 2009,” Show Manager Warren Kelly said in the release. “Most dealers have sold-down their non-current inventories and do not have many 2010 models in-stock or on order right now. I have every reason to believe that manufacturers and dealers are conserving their cash for this upcoming off-season."

Kelly said after giving manufacturers and dealers a break this year, the show would return next year.

Did anyone ever go to this show?

• 2 weeks later...

What SCAngler said.

I think many will be surprised at how our economy is going to affect the larger shows....Annapolis, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami.....

They may not be cancelled, but my guess is you are going to see a bunch of absent manufacturers. That's a huge outlay of money....tough to justify if you aren't selling boats.

Edited by Wolakrab

I went on Thursday to the Atlantic City in water boat show, If the ticket is free it was still over priced. The big tent only had four or five vendors in it. The first dock the boats were spread out and the back 40% were private boats. The second dock was big boats 35' and above and was not filled up. This show looks like it is dying. The weather was poor so the was no one there. A couple of the vendors I know feel they are not getting a return for the money the are spending to display at the in water. It is nothing compared to 3 or 4 years ago. The local dealers are going to put on a boat show and charge only $2.00 and free parking. This maybe the new type of boat show cheap for the vendor and the attendee.

• 4 weeks later...

The fall show in boston was always poorly attended. The spring show was bigger, but even it wasn't anything to fight city traffic over.

I did get to the newport fall show this year. It seemed like foot traffic was ok on Sunday. They had a fair amount of inventory in the water and a pretty good mix of vendors in the tents. What really struck me were the number of mega-yachts at the brokers docks. I'm not talking the 65' pigs yyou normally see. I'm talking 100+' beasts that went well into the millions USED. They had to have 20 or more of them lined up like coffins.

I wouldnn't read too much into the closing of the boston show. Things are bad, but that show was always on the edge.