Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

If you ever get the oportunity to run over.......

They can out run/fly a riding lawnmower also. Cutting around the base of a tree when I saw something flying, realized and caught 6th gear and wide open around the hose and under or thru a Magnolia tree before I got rid of them, got about 4 hits on the back. I gassed them that night after the sun went down.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can out run/fly a riding lawnmower also. Cutting around the base of a tree when I saw something flying, realized and caught 6th gear and wide open around the hose and under or thru a Magnolia tree before I got rid of them, got about 4 hits on the back. I gassed them that night after the sun went down.

Most of my run-in's with them have been on a tractor w/ a bush hog. One trick I have figured out is to put a big stripe of duct tape on each back tire's sidewall of the tractor, they see the stripe going round and round and attack it rather than you. usually end up getting hit once or twice, but not nearly as bad as without.

I was clearing some brush in the corner of our property with my little loader when I felt something "slap" my hand pretty ###### the loader stick, then again. I looked up to see a cloud of yellow jackets. I jumped and ran, waited for them to calm down a bit, then removed the tractor and parked it for the day while my hand swole up. They had built a rather large nest in the ground. They all go back to the nest at night so I waited until after dark and went out there with some flying insect spray (not wasp killer) and gassed the hole. That took care of them. There was a pretty good pile of the little devils on the ground around the nest the next morning!

I haven't had any insect sting that hurts as bad as a yellow jacket. I got lucky with only 2 stings that day, but it was more than a week before my hand was back to normal. I hope it doesn't take that long for you.

Most of my run-in's with them have been on a tractor w/ a bush hog. One trick I have figured out is to put a big stripe of duct tape on each back tire's sidewall of the tractor, they see the stripe going round and round and attack it rather than you. usually end up getting hit once or twice, but not nearly as bad as without.

Hold on now Cuz. Duct tape on a back tires of a tractor keeps the bees away? hehehe

I gotta take one for the team, and call BULLSHIP...

Cleaning out under the back porch and I was caring some old director chairs, the kind that fold up, made of wood with canvas for the back and seat.

Anyway I had one in each hand walking through the yard and I starting seeing something buzzing around my head, thought what 's that? Then walked a little faster to get away from what ever they were....are they bees? Picking up some speed by this time then it became clear....they are bees!....... I dropped the chairs and took off!

After everything calmed down I went back to the chairs in the yard and the nest was....you guessed it.....in the fold of the canvas. That frickin nest was big. How I never got stung I don't know.

Edited by 240 LTS

Read it again. It's a decoy.

Now I wouldn't go testing the theory out on purpose, but from what I have seen it works pretty good. My father discovered this by accident, we had a rear tire repaired on the tractor, and the only thing we had to mark the tire with damage was tape, put a big piece on the sidewall so the tire guy would know where to install the boot in the tire. Being lazy, he never bothered to remove the tape, and then hit a yellow jacket nest a few days later. They swarmed the tire rather than him. Been putting tape on the tires ever since when mowing in warm weather.