Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

If you ever get the oportunity to run over.......

a yellow jacket nest with a skid steer, take my word for it and pass it up. I was cleaning up the back yard yesterday afternoon getting rid of about 10 years worth of brush & undergrowth that the previous owner never bother to tend to. I was mainly getting rid of dead logs, small saplings, and other bushes & whatnot that shouldn't be there, about a 1/2 acre worth. I was getting ready to go in and shower to go eat when I decided to move one last log, which turns out had a yellow jacket nest under it. I got hit 5 times in the face, once on each arm, and once on the neck. Needless to say both eyes are nearly swollen shut this morning.

Edited by autobaun70

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a yellow jacket nest with a skid steer, take my word for it and pass it up. I was cleaning up the back yard yesterday afternoon getting rid of about 10 years worth of brush & undergrowth that the previous owner never bother to tend to. I was mainly getting rid of dead logs, small saplings, and other bushes & whatnot that shouldn't be there, about a 1/2 acre worth. I was getting ready to go in and shower to go eat when I decided to move one last log, which turns out had a yellow jacket nest under it. I got hit 5 times in the face, once on each arm, and once on the neck. Needless to say both eyes are nearly swollen shut this morning.

"Cut me Mick!"

That happened to a friend of mine about 25 years ago- we were working together on separate dozers and he stirred up a huge nest of bees. He was stung 5 or 6 times, but was allergic, had no bee sting kit, and we were 15 or so miles from the nearest town and almost 5 miles from the nearest asphalt. (this is before cell phones) He was unconscious before we hit the paved road, and by the time we got to the hospital he was blue. He survived, but was pretty damned lucky to do so.

I feel your pain, literally. When I was about 12 I got hit by a wasp inside my nose. Someone later asked me how it felt. I told them to grab all the nose hairs you could and yank them out at one time then follow that up by sticking a lit match in there. Follow that with a punch from Mohammed Ali and you might be getting close.

I've done (or had done to me) a lot of damage to my body over the years. Broken bones, stitches, burns, etc but nothing ever came close to that.

Except for the heavy equipment, I've been there a few times. I've learned to walk the job first to watch for hazards including "wild-life."

Once you've disturbed a nest you need to let it settle for an hour or so then come back and hit it with spray.

Good luck!

to take care of the ones that were still flying around, I tossed a full can of hornet spray next to the hole, and shot it with a pellet gun, took care of the bulk of them. Later in the evening, I moved the machine & poured about a gallon of gas down the hole.

I feel your pain, literally. When I was about 12 I got hit by a wasp inside my nose. Someone later asked me how it felt. I told them to grab all the nose hairs you could and yank them out at one time then follow that up by sticking a lit match in there. Follow that with a punch from Mohammed Ali and you might be getting close.

I've done (or had done to me) a lot of damage to my body over the years. Broken bones, stitches, burns, etc but nothing ever came close to that.

And I literally feel your pain too, I had the same thing happen to me, and your description of the pain best describes it!!!

David