Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer Care Day

Here's what brake pads/hubs/spindle/hardware look like after three seasons. The Kodiak 225 calipers look great. The brake pads (my guess is they only had about 500 miles on them but have been saltwater dunked many times....always power washed with fresh water after too) were flaky rust just waiting to release and jamb up the works...or bounce down the highway. The pads fell to pieces when removed. The bearings and Tie-Down spindles looked great with the exception of the rear castle nut. Of course I did not have a 38mm socket (what good my spare hub would do me on the side of the interstate...I do not know. Might have to carry the proper size breaker bar and socket) to replace it today, work on that tomorrow. Also the nuts and bolts holding the caliper bracket were toast. Gotta get replacements for those also tomorrow. The hub assy's are about toast too. Lugs are flaking rust and the hub itself might have one more year left in them. For about $65.00 your can replace each hub assy and bearings. Next go around I'll knock out the whole deal with fresh spindles and hub assemblies. Grease seals were very dry rotted but still doing their job. Pressed in new ones. I didn't finish half the things I had planned today, compound/polish and wax boat, fuel filters, lower unit removal, water impeller, and fresh paint on the lower unit. Might modify the nose cone and paint the lower unit silver (Yamamaster lower unit?????)...what do you think? Been using cheap grease....not anymore. Some of the grease was hard packed. Back at it tomorrow.

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Thanks for all that Ludi...I've got to do that whole scene next week. Splash the boat on Wednesday and bring the trailer home for a few days..man your post was timely.. :605_thumbs_up:

This trailer and boat are somewhat new to me and I knew going in the brakes were bad. Back plates and all are completely rusted thru...I'm gonna get a workout removing all that.

I am only going to have brakes on 1 axle..they both have brakes now. I will see what I can scrap or reuse.

Great pics by the way!

So I drive 40 miles back from the shop to where I store the boat, all the while thinking, "did I leave my $100.00 wratchet wrench on my port trim tab?". Answer was yes. Torsion bar suspension works real nice on this trailer...

My spark plug socket and a 18mm socket were still there too...

Edited by Ludicrous

So I drive 40 miles back from the shop to where I store the boat, all the while thinking, "did I leave my $100.00 wratchet wrench on my port trim tab?". Answer was yes. Torsion bar suspension works real nice on this trailer...

My spark plug socket and a 18mm socket were still there too...

"However, my poor long-suffering and super-tolerant wife, who had been sitting on the transom......." :504_shrugging:

:rolleyes: