Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Navprotector Product Warning

I have a Raymarine C120 upon which I installed a Navprotector brand screen protector since it supposedly would provide protection from the elements. The product has been advertised nationally for the intended purpose. I recently removed the Navprotector screen to replace it only to discover what appeared to be a stick adhesive material stuck to the navigation screen. It turns out that this was not an adhesive but the result of product incompatibility with the Raymarine screen.

The only help from the Navprotector company was instructions to use water to remove the residue. This removal process also caused the removal of the anti-glare film coating that was OEM from Raymarine. The screen is now so black that I cannot see the gps chart or the fishfinder. My local Raymarine dealer says that the OEM screen must be replaced at a cost estimated at $ 450. The Navprotector company has refused to even respond to my request for financial assistance. In an earlier e-mail suggesting the use of water to remove the residue, they informed me that I should have been replacing their screen every 60 days!! I could not believe a manufacturer would produce a product of such limited life and so destructive to OEM navigation screens!!! Whatever happened to product testing BEFORE going to market????I have subsequently searched The Hull Truth internet site and discovered that quite a few cases of the same problem have been reported with Raymarine and Furuno equipment. Hence, this is just a warning to all fellow mariners of the problems associated with using the Navprotector brand. Good Luck!!

Ditto :753_hammer_hitting_head:

Same problem with a similar outcome. I removed most of the gunk along with the anti glare. I can still read the screen because my hard top gives me good protection from the sun.

Here is a company that makes a protection for the screen.

http://www.purplemoo.com/pc_viewItem.asp?idProduct=616

This is what is claimed on their site

Can I leave Screen it! MKII on my screen for more than 1 year?

Yes, you can leave Screen it! MKII on your device screen for as long as you desire. Screen it! MKII is formulated with a special adhesive that does not leave residue even after a year on the device screen.

Edited by Kingair

I removed my Navprotector after it had been on for 6 months. Had a hell of a time getting it off and it took some very careful cleaning to remove the residue it left without removing the factory Garmin coating.

I switched over to the product that Kingair posted above. It works more like those oil change stickers you put on the inside of your windshield.