Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

mmsi & dsc

Already have the gps and vhf interfaced, down to just the last step of regeresting for mmsi.......... just not sure if I want everybody knowing where I am each time I key the mic.

Also, in theory if the boat is going down, and I leave the boat with the automated distress going, the vhf should turn off once the boat is flooded. But, let's it does not....now they might be looking in two spots......1 spot for vhf, 1 spot for plb.

Will they go for plb first ?

I'm not sure how much of a safety margin it adds

Connecting your GPS to you VHF and configuring your radio for DSC (with an MMSI number) adds a huge safety margin. It's the difference between potential rescuers knowing where to start looking and not knowing where to look for you. Registering your MMSI adds several more layers of information: rescuers know what type of vessel they are looking for and they also have an onshore contact number to call and gather more information about the situation.

Also, it does not send your position every time you transmit. You normally have to initiate a digital conversation with another station, or acknowledge a request for your position from another station. There's nothing "Big Brother" about it at all.

Thanks folks. Sounds to me like I outta do it. Okie doke, it's done.

Thanks again.

Here's the value ........ not only do you transmit your position if necessary, if someone else has an emergency or you request a friend position here's what you see.

Videos ......

You can watch both the videos by clicking on them.

Garmin 2206 to ICOM 504

Garmin 545 to ICOM 504

Edited by bluewaterpirate