Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

6.2 Volvo Penta motor

Anyone know much about them I got one in one of my boats I know that it is a 350 Chevy

It has a Volvo penta 290 out drive .To tell you the truth I know nothing about what kind of HP, it is in a 20'6" cuddy cabin with a 8' beam I redid the floor and all new carpet then my car wreck has slowed to nothing now since Nov. It looks to be a light boat has a 40 gal fuel tank I feel it would get fair mileage. So I ask those that may know more then me what do you think of them. Thanks Tim

Volvo Penta is an excellent engine/outdrive.

I'm confused. Your topic says 6.2 but then you say it has a 350 Chevy engine.

Volvo uses GM blocks but the 350 is a 5.7 block, not 6.2.

Whichever one you have is a good sized engine for a 20' cuddy cabin.

You gave a lot of infomation except what was important...what brand of boat, age and condition of boat and motor, how do you plan on using the boat - fishing and/or pleasure. If you're not familiar with Volvo engines, I'm assuming you are a boating newbie.

What boating experience do you have?

Thanks Chuck it is in a 1989 Arrowglass and it says Fiesta 6.2 on the side I was redoing it the only info I can find is not much help I know that there is others as yourself that may know more then me just looking on educating myself more about them.Thanks Tim

The 6.2 refers to the length, not the displacement. 6.2 meters = about 20.15 ft. I agree the volvo penta outdrive is normally a great system. I would think the 350 would have at least 250 hp which should make it run pretty quick. Post some pics when you get a chance so we can check her out as I am not familiar with that hull.

Red Block Volvo 5.7. Excellent motor! Much better marinized than a comparable Mercruiser of that vintage. The weak link may be your outdrive, as she appears to have been sitting for a while. Pull the drive off and grease the hell out of the gimbal bearing and u-joint. Check your shift linkage for proper engagement. See what happens.

Did you run her before you bought her?

Thanks I did not it was froze up from sitting and did not want to do to much at the time of purchase. Didn't want the seller to raise there price 700.00 I started buying boats way back and parted them out, I felt I had nothing to lose pulled the plugs filed the cyln with Johnson engine tuner let it set a few days then slowly started to roll it back and forth and she freed up hit the key and starter engaged and let her sing put the old champion plugs back in and hit it with starting fluid cracked right off put the muffs on could not keep it running clogged at carb white chalk it would run great as long as I poured gas in from the top all the lights worked, tilt & trim I was shocked I have done the floors and new carpet and all the stuff is bought for the rest even graphics for the side I have about 1100 in it now I will have to clean it up and post the newer PICS