Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Second Fishfinder and Transducer,any issues

I have a Garmin 498 GPS/fishfinder but I thought about adding a small second fishfinder to help out when navigating to my grouper holes. It's kind of a pain to look at the small split screen and then toggle between control of the GPS and sounder when I need to really see both screens to narrow in on the big fish. I have limited dash space so I would be considering one of the really low end small units. My question is, if I add a second transom mount transducer, is the drag from it going to affect fuel economy and am I going to experience any interference issues from having two transducers firing? Also, does anyone have a source for plastic that I can use to help cover over the holes when I move and remount my existing 498. Thanks for any feedback.

post-1781-1248909096_thumb.jpg

I have a Garmin 498 GPS/fishfinder but I thought about adding a small second fishfinder to help out when navigating to my grouper holes. It's kind of a pain to look at the small split screen and then toggle between control of the GPS and sounder when I need to really see both screens to narrow in on the big fish. I have limited dash space so I would be considering one of the really low end small units. My question is, if I add a second transom mount transducer, is the drag from it going to affect fuel economy and am I going to experience any interference issues from having two transducers firing? Also, does anyone have a source for plastic that I can use to help cover over the holes when I move and remount my existing 498. Thanks for any feedback.

post-1781-1248909096_thumb.jpg

Check with Scott at vectorled.com to get your plastic made. You will have an issue with 2 ducers firing unless you put them manually on different frequencies. The drag of a 2nd transducer is not anything to be concerned about. I would suggest getting a Garmin FF, then using your existing Garmin ducer and plug it into the new FF. If it ever craps out and you uwant backup you can manually plug that same ducer into your 498.