Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Florida Destinations

So here is what I am thinking. January is our 25th Anniversary. Lisa really likes St. Augustine and neither of us has ever been to the Keys. I am thinking road trip.

Leave NC on a cool Sunday morning in January and head to St Augustine. Arrive in St Augustine in the afternoon, by this time the top will probably be down on Josepheen.

Spend Sunday night, Monday and Monday night in St Augustine.

Tuesday morning, head to Key West and stay at the Pier House (recommended by Wet-N-Wiley.)

Wednesday, charter fishing for me and a spa day for her.

Thursday, see above.

Thursday night, Duval crawl.

Friday sight seeing and such, riding with the top down.

Friday night, see Thursday night.

Saturday, drive to ????????? and spend the night.

Sunday, finish the drive home.

Edited by HOTSPOT

Any recommendations for a nice halfway stopping point on the way back, anywhere from 8 to 9 hours north of Key West.?

Sarsota/Siesta Key/Lido Key/Longboat Key area. :605_thumbs_up:

The Admiral and I spent a few days there a few months ago. Great area! Siesta Key is one of the top rated beach areas in the country, and your Admiral would probably enjoy the St. Armand's Circle shopping/restaurant area.

Coming up from Key West, you can shoot across "Alligator Alley" and up I-75 to that area. That's a total of about 375 miles - - 7 hours +/-.

Next day, continue up I-75 to I-4 over to I-95 and back home.

You might even see Ludicrous around Naples, heading for the ramp. :239_fishing:

And, an early Happy Anniversary!! (Even though you're just a 'rookie'; Admiral and I just celebrated our 43rd!)

Edited by Boz

WHile its a little out of the way, I have to agree with Boz. We love the Indian Rcoks beach area (south of Clearwater). We always have a good time there... If you need any advice about St. Auggie let me know.....Also it is kind of like South Georgia here (weather wise) in January and get down right nippy at times depending on the fronts (just FYI)

I would hope if you're near Ft Laud you would visit Casa de Wilos.

Not exactly far enough from Key West to be considered an overnight distance but a nice rest stop break anyway.

St Augustine is a good distance. There's always Orlando. You could easily make Keys to FLL to Orlando in a day and not be fatigued.

Key West to FLL 4 hours

FLL to St Augustine 4 and 1/2 hours

About 8 1/2 hours total driving time with a nice break in between.