Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bunk Trailer: Proper way to retrieve the boat?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powering on may be effective but it is also the fastest way to undermine and ruin a ramp for everyone else. Many ramps have posted regs against this destructive practice but of course they are ignored by those who have their own way of doing things.

There is a large difference is powering to the trailer under light throttle and powering on all the way to the bow stop using significant power to get to the bow stop. If the ramp is of moderate slope, and the trailer is positioned correctly, you can power all the way to the bow stop without hurting a thing. Granted, I have seen some ramps in the past that were not built deep enough to keep the end from washing from power loading, this IMO is ignorance in design of the ramp, more so than ignorance of the ramps users.

Drive-on/drive-off?

http://reelboating.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=2293&hl=

lol

- - -

You should be familiar with both techniques. Retrieving in a current you will probably want to use power so your boat doesn't drift. Calm water (especially shallow ramps) then use the winch to be kind to the infra-structure.

Good luck!

:1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin

For me it depends on the tide and the ramp. If there is plenty of water and plenty of ramp, I prefer to sink the trailer and idle right up to the bow stop, or at least within a few feet of it, then winch the rest of the way. On a challenging ramp, or a low tide, I will "climb" the trailer with power, but I hate it. If time permits, I will just wait for the tide.

Edited by petrel

For me it depends on the tide and the ramp. If there is plenty of water and plenty of ramp, I prefer to sink the trailer and idle right up to the bow stop, or at least within a few feet of it, then winch the rest of the way. On a challenging ramp, or a low tide, I will "climb" the trailer with power, but I hate it. If time permits, I will just wait for the tide.

What he said. Except I won't wait for the tide.

Edited by cam

"destructive practice ",,,,Whats so destructive about putting your boat on a trailer?

You need to fill us in on that one..................................

Click this link and scroll down.

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/

Power loading pulls fill dirt from under the concrete ramp...pushes the fill back creating a nice shoal for your lower unit to hit on, breaking off your skegs. Then the ramp end falls, which will then tear up your axles. Other than that power loading is cool. My personal favorite is when the boater comes bow off the roller under full throttle and the fiberglass gets all gouged up on the winch stand.

Low power (idle) on your trailer bunks. Then winch it up. Place your safety chain on the bow d-ring before pulling. (warn the truck next to you that your bilge pump will throw 16 gallons onto their front seat because they have their window down as you pull out)

:1992_beer_cheer: