Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bought a new boat, survey it?

... Do not take the approach of 'I am having this boat surveyed because I do not trust you', but take the approach of 'I am having the boat surveyed to ensure there are no issues that may come up once it is home and we then have to figure out how to deal with them' ...

Yup, absolutely.

Much, much easier to fix while still at factory.

Yup, absolutely.

Much, much easier to fix while still at factory.

I don't disagree with all the above posters, but I see no reason to have a new boat surveyed unless its a large sport fisherman, or the like. I've personally never had it done, although I did assist a surveyor on a friends boat. If you're boat savvy and/or have friends that are, in my opinion, no need for a survey, esp. if its a new boat.

Now I may be speaking from a biased point of view as a Marine Surveyor, but I personally would always have an Independent (Not Me) Survey completed on any vessel new or used that I was buying... You really should never trust yourself to see things in black and white, no matter how experienced you are... Keep in mind your own bias towards this new vessel will subconsciously interfere with your rational thought, and usually minimize each finding you uncover...

Now, not every Manufacture is the same, but once you take hold of the boat, you will likely become a second priority to the buyer behind you. Anything that is found before closing, can now be easily addressed (as many here have noted) "At the Factory", and while you still have the leverage. Surveys can also remove tensions between the buyer and seller... especially if you are friends, or want to remain friends. I have also seen manufactures demand a survey be performed prior to closing on custom builds, It just gets everyone on the same page, and confident in the transaction.

• 2 years later...