Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Suzuki DF 250 cuts out when placed in gear?

Hello fellow boaters. After 375 hrs of trouble free operation I now have my first problem. Out fishing, was trolling, pulled back on trottles to idle position and starboard engine died. Tried to restart, no luck, primed the trottle in the neautral position and engine started immediately. Put trottle back in place to shift into gear and engine died again. I continued this for three to four times before giving up and headed to port on one engine. Next morning, I replaced the inline fuel filter, I was sure this was the cause, it wasn't. I replaced the water seperator filter and replaced all plugs. Hooked up the earmuffs and agian the same symptoms.

Are there any other filters? It sounds like a fuel restriction problem???? What else can I test, replace, or look for????

Thanks in advance :605_thumbs_up:

Hello fellow boaters. After 375 hrs of trouble free operation I now have my first problem. Out fishing, was trolling, pulled back on trottles to idle position and starboard engine died. Tried to restart, no luck, primed the trottle in the neautral position and engine started immediately. Put trottle back in place to shift into gear and engine died again. I continued this for three to four times before giving up and headed to port on one engine. Next morning, I replaced the inline fuel filter, I was sure this was the cause, it wasn't. I replaced the water seperator filter and replaced all plugs. Hooked up the earmuffs and agian the same symptoms.

Are there any other filters? It sounds like a fuel restriction problem???? What else can I test, replace, or look for????

Thanks in advance :605_thumbs_up:

I had the same problem on my 2002 140 at 350 hrs and the dealer replaced an electrical sensor on the starboard side of the power head.It was a 5 minute job but took 2 weeks to get the part.When he hooked it up to the computer everything showed ok so he just switched the part off another customers motor and corrected the problem.If you rev it up in neutral and very quickly jam it in gear will it still stall?

I had the same problem on my 2002 140 at 350 hrs and the dealer replaced an electrical sensor on the starboard side of the power head.It was a 5 minute job but took 2 weeks to get the part.When he hooked it up to the computer everything showed ok so he just switched the part off another customers motor and corrected the problem.If you rev it up in neutral and very quickly jam it in gear will it still stall?

To be clear. When I bring the trottle back to idle position it cuts out, prior to even going in to gear.

I'm having a similar problem with my 04 DF200, except it doesn't always stall. When mine doesn't stall, it idles low, around 400 - 450 and will only get to 5200-5400 at full throttle. It used to max out at around 5800. We have replaced fuel lines, primer bulb, filters, and plugs. Now the dealer is going to replace the ECM (Electronic Control Module) as per the Suzuki Techs. The engine is still under Warranty. I won't know if this solves the problem for a few weeks, but I will let you know.

This is good to know for anyone that may experience the same problem. I contacted Nick at Nick's creative marine. Explained the symptoms and he immediately new what the problem was. Replaced the IAC valve which was a ten minute project and started right up. Glad it was an easy fix.