Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Warsaw or Goliath?

Did y'all hear about this huge Grouper? I'm sure most of you did. Guess it could have been a world record but now they are saying after looking at the pictures it is possibly a protected Goliath. Possible fine and charges pending. What do you think about this? Just wondering your thoughts. If it were me and I had caught it I would have let him go if I wasn't sure weather it was a goliath or warsaw. Guess they were pretty positive it was a warsaw. Was definately a monster fish!

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/danie...-bay-billy.html

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/possible-...per-probes.html

did it occur to anyone, the irony of the "jewfish" re to "goliath"...

in order to offset any possible insult or ethnic slur....they renamed jewfish to goliath...a huge Philistine who murdered jews......... :504_shrugging::753_hammer_hitting_head:

I hadn't picked up on that, but it does have a ring of irony to it, doesn't it?

So after reading the extensive artical, and this post, is a Warsaw, or a Goliath???

Obviously by looking at the pictures it is a Goliath ( the size of the fish makes me think that) ..... and possibly should be left in the wild to reproduce, but who's to say that the ride up from the bottom of the ocean would not of killed him/her?

Honestly if I would of caught a fish of that size/magnitude I would measure him, and check his gurth, take tons of pictures/maybe videos, and then revive him, so that he can live for 10-20 more years.....

DJW

Edited by DJWILLIAMS

• 2 weeks later...

Come on yall. If so many people looked at the fish and were confused about the species then an honest mistake could have been made. If the fish was some how a half breed then it's legal. I don't think the guys should face charges, especially if the talk of permitting one Jewfish to be caught with a permit. The Hun

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 200% for keeping things legal. Been a road patrol LEO for 27 yrs now. All I can say is that would have been a hard fish to let go. Although, I know deep down If I caught it and let it go, sometime much later I would have felt good about it. But, if it was legal and gets consumed, good for the guys catching it. Still, that would of been a hard fish to release.

• 4 weeks later...