Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Quick Question on Water Pump Maintenance

I am gearing up to swap the impeller in my Yammy 90hp 4 stroke. My question is - do I just replace the impeller ($30 item # 24) or should I purchase the entire water pump repair kit ($60 item number 22)?

My hunch is the more expensive repair kit but I would like to hear from ya'll as to whether it is really needed

usually depends on how many hours on the unit. If you have allot of hours and you have the lower unit apart, go for it,, water pumps and impellers are a vital part of your boating "peace of mind" My suggestion is to do them both. Cost will be a slice of heaven compared to loosing all water flow from the pump, while out in the boat. ;)

I am gearing up to swap the impeller in my Yammy 90hp 4 stroke. My question is - do I just replace the impeller ($30 item # 24) or should I purchase the entire water pump repair kit ($60 item number 22)?

My hunch is the more expensive repair kit but I would like to hear from ya'll as to whether it is really needed

Bob, it depends on how many hours your engine has since last rebuild and what type of water you run in. If you live in clean freshwater, i would replace the impeller. If you run in saltwater and silty water, i would replace the assembly.

Same holds true if you change impellers every 100 hours or if you wait longer.

If in freshwater and do it every 100 hours, change only the impeller. If in silty water, change assembly.

I was replacing my impeller every other year(about 100 hrs) and the whole kit every 200 hrs. This worked on my 90 Yamaha for ten years. If they ever overheat, have a real good look at the plastic housing, as they do not come in the kit and may need replacing. Good luck!