Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

RENTAL CAR OPTIONS???

Afternoon all,

Flying into LAX 4 September for another three month US motoring trip. Having trouble getting a rental car this time although the car will be returned to LAX. Some CA agencies will not rent for that period or have restrictions on where the vehicle can go (like the East coast).

Any rental car outlet owners, managers or staff know if there is a general tightening up of rental conditions?

Recommendations on who to use this time for a Chev Impala or similar?

Afternoon all,

Flying into LAX 4 September for another three month US motoring trip. Having trouble getting a rental car this time although the car will be returned to LAX. Some CA agencies will not rent for that period or have restrictions on where the vehicle can go (like the East coast).

Any rental car outlet owners, managers or staff know if there is a general tightening up of rental conditions?

Recommendations on who to use this time for a Chev Impala or similar?

Hey Pete,

Lucky you. We're heading over in June/July at this stage. Gotta take advantage of these cheap fares!

Would it not be cheaper to buy a car over there and sell it when leaving? I'm sure a 3 month rental would cost almost as much as buying a car? Last time we were there we used Alomo. We did week long hires, with pickup in one state, and return to another. We had a Chev Cobalt and a Dodge something.

As you've done the trip before, could you recommend some must do's for our trip? We've done Florida and California before, and at this stage are planning New York and Florida this time around.

Regards

Darren

You might want to check out Rent a wreck ( http://www.rentawreck.com/default.htm )

I know that they offer long term rentals, and they have an office in LA. A friend of mine used them when he was out in LA working for a few months.

They have a good selection of cars, and despite the name they do rent cars that you wont be embarrassed to be seen in.

Pete,

Come on in to DFW,............Farmerjane & I will pick you two up.

We have a 1991 Toyota pickup we will let you two take anywhere you want for free!

I guess the September time frame really screws many people's plans due to the 911 stuff.

Seriously, Dee & I hope to see you and your better half during your extended visit!

Please don't hesitate to PM us for anything you may need.

Good Day!

Wayne