Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

purging yamaha fuel system

had a very similar thing happen on my parents F115 earlier this summer. Make sure that the small inline filter between the low pressure pump & high pressure pump has been replaced. This one got missed by the dealer on ours, and caused all sorts of headaches until we found it. The earlier four stroke motors don't have this filter, so this may or may not apply to your situation.

Thanks for the heads up. I just e-mailed an inquiry to the service center inquiring about that. What were the symptoms/headaches caused by the oversight?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up. I just e-mailed an inquiry to the service center inquiring about that. What were the symptoms/headaches caused by the oversight?

Here is my service center's reply:This filter (screen) was cleaned and checked for restriction. There was no restriction and the screen was clean, so we reused this one.

This filter is not really a filter element but a course screen to catch parts just incase the low pressure pump comes apart.

The low pressure cup filter, before the low pressure pump is supposed to catch anything particulates that feeds the low pressure and high pressure pump, and the fuel water separator is your first line of defense before any of the engine filters see the fuel.

There is a super-fine filter before the high pressure pump within the VST tank. The filters that were replaced were the high pressure pump filter, the low pressure filter element before the low pressure pump, and the fuel water separator, and the filters on the ends of the injectors. All other parts of the fuel system were cleaned and put back on the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

On our unit, the engine would start & run fine at idle, and would even come up to power fine, but would quickly die after that due to fuel starvation. You would then have to pump the bulb until tight, and all would work fine at idle again, until you went up on the throttle. Basically it was pumping fuel, but not enough was getting through to keep up with demand.

• 2 weeks later...