Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

purging yamaha fuel system

My marina just sold me 170 gallons of phase separated fuel and it reduced my like new (less that 200hr) F250s to bumping sputtering crap(had to run them 20 minutes to get back through the inlet and onto the nearest dock). I have had the tank pumped out, and made arrangements to have a service add clean fuel then recirculate and polish the fuel until the tank is clean. How do I clean out the Yamahas? I know to drain the lines and replace the primary and secondary fuel filters, what other things should I look for or service. The dealer says that there is another part of the fuel system that should be cleaned out by a qualified mechanic. I would appreciate any guidance on the matter.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step by step, this is what I would do:

1> put some fresh gas in the boat

2> disconnect the main fuel line from the input side of the Racors

3> pump several gallons of gas out using an external pump, this will ensure you have removed any crap from the bottom of the tank, the pickup tube, the anti-siphon valve and the main fuel line

4> replace the Racor filters, be sure to put some oil on the gasket(s)

5> replace the primer bulbs (the Ethanol phase separated slime will eat the inside and cause the check valve to malfunction)

6> replace the engine mounted fuel filters

7> remove the VST tank, clean it, replace the screen, replace the o-ring

8> replace the F-Shaped filter

That about does it. If you still can't reach the rpms you once could, more bad news, clogged fuel injectors.

The good news is there is a place that can help: http://www.brucatosvs.com/fuel_injector.html

They did wonders for my fuel injectors. Over time, they get clogged regardless of what you do.

Sorry for your troubles, unfortunately, this is beginning to be a common occurrence.

I am glad to help anyway I can: hotspot@bogueinletnc.com

• 2 weeks later...

Since insurance and my Yamaha extended warranty was involved, I chickened out and had the dealership perform the work. In addition to what Hotspot recommended (Thanks again for your help!), they pulled the injectors and sent them off to be cleaned and tested. We also had the tank and lines cleaned and flushed by a fuel service. They did not replace the fuel primer bulbs. I guess I better grab a spare set.

The initial quote for the work was $5500.00, but the final invoice was $2918.00

We seatrialed the boat yesterday and it is smooth and jumps up on plane again (well as best as a 31EW can). However, it appears that I lost 200-300 rpm right off the top. I ran the mechanic around for 20 minutes arguing about it. He said that there was no way that both engines could loose the exact number of rpm. I asked him if the difference between their fuel, 87 or 89 octane Valvetech treated fuel, and the fuel I usually run, premium Citgo at 90something octane (treated with MDR stor n start), could account for the difference. He said maybe!?

I hated to stand there and make a stink over 200 rpm, so we agreed to re-conveine, if after burning off and replacing some of that fuel, the top performance does not return.

If the problem persists, or worsens when I finish re-loading the boat, what should I check, or have checked, next?

The marina says that they will take care of it. They are a very reputable outfit, but I like to hedge my bets, so I opened a claim with my insurance. Now my insurance will go after the marina (if they don't pay soon), the Marina says they are asking the fuel service to cover the expense, The fuel service says that they expect the filter manufacturer to cover it.

The marina did not charge us for the fuel, had it removed, and has also agreed to reimburse us for the fuel that was onboard before the phase separated fuel was introduced.

had a very similar thing happen on my parents F115 earlier this summer. Make sure that the small inline filter between the low pressure pump & high pressure pump has been replaced. This one got missed by the dealer on ours, and caused all sorts of headaches until we found it. The earlier four stroke motors don't have this filter, so this may or may not apply to your situation.