Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fountain owners please help fish boxes filling with sea water.

My fish boxes on my 34 fill up with sea water. The thru hull fitting sits at the water line and I'm forever hitting the fishbox drain to empty them. Am I missing a one way valve perhaps or this by design? I'm confused this seems like a good way to sink my sled. The pump is new. I guess i need some ideas.

Thanks

Without knowing much about how Fountains are plumbed there is an easy way to figure it out. With the boat on the trailer take the garden hose and start filling the fish box with water.

If water is coming in while the boat is in the water then water will go out when its not. Just look where the water is draining out. There is most likely a seacock open on a below the waterline thru hull.

That may not give you the answer on how to correct the problem but it will definetly tell you where to start.

i have a similar problem with my baitwell when i'm not using it. your problem may be caused by the same thing. i have a speed scoop that lets water force its way up above the water line while under way. i simply just close the seacock while i'm not using it to prevent that from happening.

the purpose of the speed scoop is to prevent the pump from losing prime under way from a venturi, so you need to keep your scoop if you have one..,.

My fish boxes on my 34 fill up with sea water. The thru hull fitting sits at the water line and I'm forever hitting the fishbox drain to empty them. Am I missing a one way valve perhaps or this by design? I'm confused this seems like a good way to sink my sled. The pump is new. I guess i need some ideas.

Thanks

If you have a thru hull there better dang well be a seacock right at the thru hull.

I'm reasonably certain the bottoms of your boxes are below the waterline so when you're off plane the boxes are going to fill with water, and when you plane off they drain.

Do you trailer or wetslip?

Either way, find the seacock. Drain the water out either by jumping up on plane or do it on the trailer. Close the seacock.

Should be problem solved.

Good luck.

The fish boxes drain through a pump and then the truhull. I have seen any seacock but going to check again. I can fill the fish boxes with water and all the water stays I have to turn the pump on to drain them. I keep the boat on the trailer but I need to fix this doesn't seem very safe.

The fish boxes drain through a pump and then the truhull. I have seen any seacock but going to check again. I can fill the fish boxes with water and all the water stays I have to turn the pump on to drain them. I keep the boat on the trailer but I need to fix this doesn't seem very safe.

Way to go Fountain. That's some fine rigging there. Knuckleheads.

I don't think the water is coming in through the drain. I bet the pump/macerator is below the bottom of the box, like mine. I used to get water in my fish box, because the in-floor fish box lid did not fit snug. Any water that came into the cockpit would drain into the box. I increased the size of the weather stripping on the lid and now any water that enters the cockpit runs out via the fish box gutter, as designed. Here's a picture.

037_1.jpg

Wow I have some bad spelling and grammer errors. I promise it is coming through the thruhull because when I went fishing no rain or washing the decks and while I'm trolling I have water in the boxes. If I fill up the boxes nothing will drain by itself only with the pump turned on. I'm guessing not enough pressure. It's raing bad so I will check for any seacocks I can but I dont remeber seeing any.