Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Install of Furuno 1920

The install manual make NO mention of this so here goes.

The power cable has a braided wire shield around the conductors. Should this be connected to the ground, if so is the battery ground side good enough?

Thanks

I have installed hundreds of those units and have never connected that braided wire and have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I have installed hundreds of those units and have never connected that braided wire and have never had a problem.

I have a 1920 myself and love it. The braided cable is there to protect the other cables enclosed and the signal cables outside but in the same pipe, from RF(radio frequency) interference. There can be RF in the DC power cable from various soures within the boat. Lay thinly insulated #24 signal wire (look at the little connectors coming out of your radar) right up against your powercable and you can induce false signals into the tiny wire. Connecting to the ground is not required to operate, but it helps to keep your signals clean.