Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Sword fish 10# weight

Was watching a show from Bud ' Mary's, "Catch 22" on daytime broadbill fishing. Can anybody share the concept of how and where to tie the breakaway 10# concrete weight. I think they made their concrete weights by putting the mud in a coffee can with a metal loop on top for the line.

How does it break away when a fish strikes?

Thanks for any diagrams or info.

Was watching a show from Bud ' Mary's, "Catch 22" on daytime broadbill fishing. Can anybody share the concept of how and where to tie the breakaway 10# concrete weight. I think they made their concrete weights by putting the mud in a coffee can with a metal loop on top for the line.

How does it break away when a fish strikes?

Thanks for any diagrams or info.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I changed the wire on the downriggers to Spectra - damn that stuff is $$$$$. Anyway - we can get down 900ft without any problems and run a Black's release off the weight and a couple of rubber band releases 20m apart on the main line to other rods. Tie the cyalume stick in btwn the rubber band releases. The three rods set up are 50's with 25m back to the big squids.

Another choice outfit is Krystal elect rod and reel. Floss to the weight and a 100m top shot to the squid. Tie off your cyalume stick about 20m above the weight. When the strike comes on 16/0 Owner circle hook, hit the button. Unhook the ball and fight the fish.

Personally I prefer the free lines on the riggers and stand up tackle. At least that's what we're using down here.

Heard they got a 197 Pumpkin Swordie at B&M's last Friday.