Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

recycling old boats

I strongly agree with you on the recycling issue. BUT This culture is completely different to any other culture on the world, mainly because of the purchasing power we have.

I came from a 3rd world country, where you HAVE to recycle, because NEW it's either TOO EXPENSIVE or it does not get there because its imported.

You would not imagine the things I've seen done to cars, boats, homes, equipment, you name it!!!!

I've heard that CUBA is still using 1960 Russian cars!!! and they keep recycling them.

The good thing about that it's that your brain gets used to find alternatives all the time, gets more flexible, and you get used to think "outside the box".

My father used to tell me "necessity is the mother of all the abilities"

But here it does not work like that... I brought that "fix everything over and over" mentality to this country and soon realized that its not cost effective.

To follow with your example on the lawn mower.... when I bought my home I got a small yard to mow. My financial situation was not the best, so I got me a lawn mower on a garage sale. That stupid thing drove me crazy!!! It took me forever to mow my grass, because every time i use it I had to do something else to it.... the self propel thing never worked and I had to push the stupid thing, so I had to work most of my Sunday on the yard and was totally soar on Monday when I had to go to work, cursing myself and asking where the hell went the weekend.

I finally got tired, went to home depot and got me a new one. Never a single problem again. What it used to be a nightmare before and used to take forever, now its a fairly enjoyable task. Now, the new mower is so much smother, "really" self propelled, and easy to start, that while I'm doing the edges, my wife is mowing.

Some times is not really cost effective to keep fighting, and in the long term, the time, money, effort invested in fixing is not worth it.

The down side is that the brain gets LAZY, and at one point you prefer not to THINK, because it's easier to go to HD and buy new instead of wondering and solving a minor (or major) problem.

Also some times the resources needed to fix and old boat (for example) does not guarantee that you will not have problems with some other thing in the near future, and you keep fixing and fixing and fixing.

JMO...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly agree with you on the recycling issue. BUT This culture is completely different to any other culture on the world, mainly because of the purchasing power we have.

I came from a 3rd world country, where you HAVE to recycle, because NEW it's either TOO EXPENSIVE or it does not get there because its imported.

You would not imagine the things I've seen done to cars, boats, homes, equipment, you name it!!!!

I've heard that CUBA is still using 1960 Russian cars!!! and they keep recycling them.

The good thing about that it's that your brain gets used to find alternatives all the time, gets more flexible, and you get used to think "outside the box".

My father used to tell me "necessity is the mother of all the abilities"

But here it does not work like that... I brought that "fix everything over and over" mentality to this country and soon realized that its not cost effective.

To follow with your example on the lawn mower.... when I bought my home I got a small yard to mow. My financial situation was not the best, so I got me a lawn mower on a garage sale. That stupid thing drove me crazy!!! It took me forever to mow my grass, because every time i use it I had to do something else to it.... the self propel thing never worked and I had to push the stupid thing, so I had to work most of my Sunday on the yard and was totally soar on Monday when I had to go to work, cursing myself and asking where the hell went the weekend.

I finally got tired, went to home depot and got me a new one. Never a single problem again. What it used to be a nightmare before and used to take forever, now its a fairly enjoyable task. Now, the new mower is so much smother, "really" self propelled, and easy to start, that while I'm doing the edges, my wife is mowing.

Some times is not really cost effective to keep fighting, and in the long term, the time, money, effort invested in fixing is not worth it.

The down side is that the brain gets LAZY, and at one point you prefer not to THINK, because it's easier to go to HD and buy new instead of wondering and solving a minor (or major) problem.

Also some times the resources needed to fix and old boat (for example) does not guarantee that you will not have problems with some other thing in the near future, and you keep fixing and fixing and fixing.

JMO...

let me show you how my friends resourcefulness takes place. Here is a 25ft aquasport with inboard diesel. One problem aquasport never used Diesels or inboards.I am also showing the original V6 185 johnson he took off.Recycling is still the best option. Necessity is the mother of invention.Most push mowers that end up on the side of road need sparkplug,airfilter and a good cleaning.Simply buying one at a yardsale means you paid to much.

post-4704-1246998031.jpg

post-4704-1246998093_thumb.jpg

post-4704-1246998114.jpg

post-4704-1246998147_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Post pictures of boats with out Identification.Someone here may be able to tell you what it is.

No manufacturer plate or numbers stamped into the transom on right side top corner near rubrail.Depending upon state(example Florida Altering boat 51% get retitled under homemade boat)

Check with each state laws governing boats there is always a legal hoop you can jump thru with little or no extra payment.Leans and levies (ex) Storage fees unpaid, Abandonment no way to contact previous owner,) Again check with your state .Florida it can be easy and hard.

Oddly enough a lot of boats were manufacturerd out in Arizona ,Arkansa because of dry climate. So you find some pretty wierd names.Molds for boats may have numerous manufacturers on the same boat.Please post pictures of recycled boats.Like these recycled projects My boat was manufactured in Arkansa for Gulf marine it is a 18ft gulf master,Century makes one,shakespear makes one,and the one big flats fishing boat maker makes one all from the same mold.The other is a recycled surf board

Her are some pic's of a boat I would like to restore. It has no HUN, mainly because I believe it is made before they were required. It is registered as a Stursa but I contacted one of the Stursa family and they told me that they never manufactured speedboats so this was a "borrowed" title.

2835560410101083075S500x500Q85.jpg

2052772230101083075S500x500Q85.jpg

2703296600101083075S500x500Q85.jpg

2434818750101083075S500x500Q85.jpg

2495982100101083075S500x500Q85.jpg

Any ideas on what this might be? It needs a floor but the glas is very solid. I don't even know what size motor it will handle.

Rick

That looks like a boat a friend has .The seats are also incorrect.Ther should also be a spot for a hot foot pedal.I will email him and get what I can from him.

That looks like a boat a friend has .The seats are also incorrect.Ther should also be a spot for a hot foot pedal.I will email him and get what I can from him.

Thanks, I will take any info I can get. I had checked for the hot foot since that what was on my racing boats but I don't see any evidence of one. I am going to clean it out and try to get some better pictures.

Rick

Thanks, I will take any info I can get. I had checked for the hot foot since that what was on my racing boats but I don't see any evidence of one. I am going to clean it out and try to get some better pictures.

Rick

Dude, put a 200HP on that guy, it would probably do 200mph !!!

Let me give you an idea, you could go buy the absoulte cheapest boat you can find, use that hull # to get it registered,,

did just say that ??

Rick

Rick what I did find out is it is a racing Ski boat Hp rating is apt to be high.

Rick what I did find out is it is a racing Ski boat Hp rating is apt to be high.

The aluminum on the transom is an add on I am sure, I would bet the transom is soft underneath. That is why I want to try to pin down the brand to see if it is worth putting all the work into it to fix it up. Someone did put a LOT of work into that transom support, it is all welded in the form that you see. Any ideas on where I might look for any kind of identifiers? As I said there is no hull number but any other places there might be a name or number?

Rick

The aluminum on the transom is an add on I am sure, I would bet the transom is soft underneath. That is why I want to try to pin down the brand to see if it is worth putting all the work into it to fix it up. Someone did put a LOT of work into that transom support, it is all welded in the form that you see. Any ideas on where I might look for any kind of identifiers? As I said there is no hull number but any other places there might be a name or number?

Rick

It may be under the aluminum plate.