Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

recycling old boats

How many here still have the older boat ?

Why go out and buy a brand new boat when it looses value as soon as it leaves a dealership.

It can be very cheap to refurbish an older boat and to repower it to.

Or go buy the boat that someone can't afford and are selling just to get rid of payments.Or just find a refurbished boat.

I am not suggesting you do anything.If you can afford to buy brand new do so.

When you drive down the road look at all the boats along the side of road with grass growing up around it and in it.Most of these boats are in very good shape just neglected.I drive a big truck and generally I can look over the high fences you would be amazed at the boats I see.In the back yards 30 ft or bigger just sitting because they don't have a vehicle to pull it or launch it.

I am venting at what I see being an avid boater and rebuilder .Its ashame to see something go unused!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just like all those older cars you see sitting out there rusting away when they could be recycled or restored. Probably something minor went wrong, the owner did not want to take the time or expense to correct it, the minor problem became a bigger problem with neglect, now that 20 foot chunk of fiberglass sits waiting for someone to come along and either take an interest in making it seaworthy again or junking it.

Unfortunately there is not much of a market for some older hulls. I went to a charity auction where an older Bayliner with a Merc on the back did not get a single bid, the owner was willing to let it go for nothing and the charity would have been happy with a couple hundred dollars, but could not draw a bid. Maybe one of the conservation groups could get a program to round up unwanted boats and turn them into artificial reefs like they sometimes do with decommissioned ships.

I run ALLOY...........................

Don't even mention recycle . I hope my boat , SKINTBACK, doesn't see this thread.

Fiberglass boats cannot be made into reefs.Wood,steel and aluminum boats can be made into reefs.

Just as cars it takes elbow grease to restore.We live in a throw away age.Here is an example I am a junk man I get paid to haul off what is called junk.Man buys new lawnmower because old one will not start.New plug and new airfilter and I sold it for $25.oo.For ten dollars in clean up previouse owner paid 180 dollars and got a new one.Throw away age Its not the way but the reason.

Seriousely new car even a cheap one 12,000 dollars a 20 ft boat will exceed that.Buy a one to 5 year old car . A lttle work Maintenace .Same with a boat Maintenance,thats all it is .The average american doesn't know which end of the wrench to use so they let a little problem become a big one.Its time to change that attitude.I am mechanically inclined I can do glass work ,engine work and most of all I can read and ask questions .Most of you can do the same.

The only reason I need a newer vehicle mine is dieing of cancer and is literally falling apart . It can be recycled by melting it down.As for a boat it can be cut and reshaped or disassembled and cut up for panels to use on another boat. Where my boat was rebuilt they did just that cut up a 25 footer to repair a thirty foot sailboat.

Now for the boats without titles . If a mechanic seizes a vehicle without a title he can petion the state and get a title for it. Why can't they do it to some of the abandoned vessels along the ICW or coves.

I am recycling two of my four boats now. Problem is that in NJ it is damn near impossible to get a new title for a boat. One of mine was an impound from an apartment complex, never was able to get hold of the guy. I have had it for six years so I figure I should have no problem getting a title. Yea right! First I have to pay the state for a list of all owners, then I have to advertise in the area papers for the owner to have a chance to call. I have to document that I tried to contact the owner by phone and certified letter. All in al it will cost me several hundred dollars to get a title for a 16 ft speedboat that I don't even know what it is since the previous owner called it a Stursa. I got hold of one of the Stursa'a in Michigan and found that they never made speedboats.

I hate bureaucracy

Rick!

I am recycling two of my four boats now. Problem is that in NJ it is damn near impossible to get a new title for a boat. One of mine was an impound from an apartment complex, never was able to get hold of the guy. I have had it for six years so I figure I should have no problem getting a title. Yea right! First I have to pay the state for a list of all owners, then I have to advertise in the area papers for the owner to have a chance to call. I have to document that I tried to contact the owner by phone and certified letter. All in al it will cost me several hundred dollars to get a title for a 16 ft speedboat that I don't even know what it is since the previous owner called it a Stursa. I got hold of one of the Stursa'a in Michigan and found that they never made speedboats.

I hate bureaucracy

Rick!

That would be NJ bureaucracy! :1143_neener_neener_neener:

That would be NJ bureaucracy! :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Post pictures of boats with out Identification.Someone here may be able to tell you what it is.

No manufacturer plate or numbers stamped into the transom on right side top corner near rubrail.Depending upon state(example Florida Altering boat 51% get retitled under homemade boat)

Check with each state laws governing boats there is always a legal hoop you can jump thru with little or no extra payment.Leans and levies (ex) Storage fees unpaid, Abandonment no way to contact previous owner,) Again check with your state .Florida it can be easy and hard.

Oddly enough a lot of boats were manufacturerd out in Arizona ,Arkansa because of dry climate. So you find some pretty wierd names.Molds for boats may have numerous manufacturers on the same boat.Please post pictures of recycled boats.Like these recycled projects My boat was manufactured in Arkansa for Gulf marine it is a 18ft gulf master,Century makes one,shakespear makes one,and the one big flats fishing boat maker makes one all from the same mold.The other is a recycled surf board

post-4704-1246962087.jpg

post-4704-1246962183_thumb.jpg