Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Need to replace controls

I need to replace the throttle controls on my 1989 Chris Craft 254 SeaHawk. They are the original OMC controls. The boat has a brand new Volvo Penta DuoProp Engine/Outdrive but the previous owner didnt replace the controls with the install.

How difficult is it to replace the controls and do I need to worry about buying specific controls for the Volvo engine?

Also, (stupid question) do I have to remove the old equipment before knowing what length, etc. I need to replace with or is there a way to gauge this before starting the project?

Thanks!

Nick

How difficult is it to replace the controls and do I need to worry about buying specific controls for the Volvo engine?

Just a matter of unfastening the old and installing the new. I use a separate throttle and shift with a twin arm Teleflex shifter. That's just me. The cables are universal 3300 tfxtreme. So, you can use any shifter and there are cables that will work for them.

Also, (stupid question) do I have to remove the old equipment before knowing what length, etc. I need to replace with or is there a way to gauge this before starting the project?

In most cases the cables will have their length printed on them somewhere. Whether at the shift end or the other you can use that length as a guide. Cables are sold in one foot increments, so you won't go too wrong by estimating one foot too long.

Recently replaced controls on my Mirage. Twin volvo's, twin station. I wanted single lever mechanical controls. Looked at RG Rollins but they wouldn't adapt to the volvos. Ended up going with Kobelt. Replaced cables with 33 extremes, had no idea how bad the old set up was until everything was replaced. Kobelt is a little pricey but when you put them next to teleflex controls you can see what the extra money is for.