Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Hub temperatures?

I am taking a trip from Rhode Island to Florida with the boat. The boat is a 23ft walk around and the trailer is a dual axle with surge disc brakes on the front axle. The trailer is three years old and well maintained. I do not expect any issues and I believe I am well prepared for the trip. I have a spare tire, hub with bearings, tools, inferred temp gun and of course a grease gun. I plan to pump grease into the hubs every time I stop for gas. I know that the front axle should be warmer due to the brakes but I am curious as to what I should expect for normal hub temps. I do understand a lot will depend on speed and traffic conditions; however any insight would be of great benefit?

I don't know the exact temp, but my trailer is similar to yours and after a long haul, my idler hubs are warm to the touch, but I can leave my hand on them. The front hubs which have surge brakes are hot to the touch and I can leave my hand on them for a second or two, really depends on how much I was braking on the trip. Typically not much much, until I arrive at me destination.

If you have the Super Lube spindles, remember to always pump in enough new grease to get all of the old grease out and rotate the wheel while pumping in the new grease.

Have a safe tip brother.

I have had problems in the past with hub temps when I first got my trailer due to brake issues. I have a 23 foot CC with the same setup now. I just got back from a 400 mile trip also. Per my laser temp guage my hubs run anywhere between 112 to 124 (when it is really hot outside). All your hubs should not get more than 10 degrees different in temps if your are on the interstate (very little brake use) . I have never checked hubs after alot of brake use.

HOTSPOT; Cracker,

Thanks for the replies; again I do not think I will have an issue. I am just concerned this is the first large trip with this rig. I have been pulling trailers for about 20 years but nothing more than maybe 80 miles at a time.

Cracker how is the fishing down there; I will be in your neck of the woods for about a week prior to going to the gulf to do some fishing. I am staying in Jacksonville and have family in Flagler Beach.

personally, while I would carry a grease gun, I would not advise greasing your hubs nearly that often. You don't want to over pack the housing with grease. Doing so can put extra pressure on the inside seal causing it to fail. It would be advisable to grease them up before your return trip, while they are still cool, but no need to constantly force grease into them. As long as everything is in proper working order, you should have no problem going quite a few thousand miles between greasing. Also, once you get to where you are going, allow your hubs to cool down prior to launch.

Dusty,

Fishing here is good for both bottomfish and kingfish, Tarpon, some Dolphin, some Cobia, Good AJ etc.

As stated I think pumping the bearings that much is too much. If you have Superlube hubs you will probably not do damage BUT if you have Buddy Bearings you run a great risk of blowing out the rear seal, then you will have issues.